X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Willie G
    • Sep 2008

Assurance on a seamless site move.

Hello.

I have a client hosted elsewhere. After I have signed up for an account here soon, I intend to move that client of mine here. My question is, can the Dathorn Support Team help me transfer my client's site seamlessly, without breaking the site and e-mail accounts and configurations? I am aware it can be done. But I have experienced problems with hosting providers before where a server move broke the e-mail accounts (despite assurances that the process would be smooth and wouldn't even be noticed by my client) and I had to recreate all previously setup mailboxes, usernames, and passwords. (Oh, it was a painful ordeal informing all those users what happened to their e-mail accounts.)

I can leave the contents of my client's site in their previous host long enough for the DNS propagation process to complete. The site also uses cPanel.

So, can Dathorn Support help me do it right this time? Thank you in advance.
  • AndrewT
    Administrator
    • Mar 2004

If your old host uses cPanel we can transfer the account exactly as it is there on to our servers. The only remaining issues that you would have to look after would be script related but there shouldn't be any.

Comment

• Willie G
      • Sep 2008

Good to know that. Yes, it's cPanel. I'll keep you posted. Thanks, AndrewT.

Comment

• ZYV
        • Sep 2005

Andrew, just to clarify, are you sure that there won't be any problems with say FTP passwords etc.? AFAIK shell passwords are salted and therefore /etc/passwd files can't be transferred as is between machines. Therefore, are all the passwords cPanel is responsible for NOT salted?

Comment

• AndrewT
          Administrator
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by ZYV
          Andrew, just to clarify, are you sure that there won't be any problems with say FTP passwords etc.?
          Absolutely sure. Whether or not the passwords are salted or not isn't particularly meaningful.

Comment

• ZYV
            • Sep 2005

OK, thanks! This is usefull to know.

Comment

Working...