Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DWalley
    • Jul 2004

My client have several places to get their emails

I have a client and they have a Desktop, Laptop an Blackberry. With our email servers, what is the best setup option so that they can get emails to all places?

Thanks
  • AndrewT
    Administrator
    • Mar 2004

Direct access via IMAP or Webmail. This way they'll see whatever messages are on the server regardless of their location.

Comment

• DWalley
      • Jul 2004

I am not too familiar with IMAP.
      I guess the reason I am asking is in the event they check there email on the laptop and the email gets removed from the sever then they cant get it on the laptop or blackberry.

Comment

• AndrewT
        Administrator
        • Mar 2004

When using IMAP messages are left on the server unless the user specifically deletes them and then removes them from their trash folder. Since the messages are left on the server they can be viewed from any device.

With POP3 messages are removed by default once they are downloaded.

Comment

• DWalley
          • Jul 2004

Does IMAP cause a servers email to load up?
          Do I setup the IMAP in Cpanel or set it up on each device? Like Outlook 2007?

Also is the mail server for IMAP, mail.whatever.com?

Comment

• AndrewT
            Administrator
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by DWalley
            Does IMAP cause a servers email to load up?
            Do I setup the IMAP in Cpanel or set it up on each device? Like Outlook 2007?

Also is the mail server for IMAP, mail.whatever.com?
            You select IMAP in each client's configuration (instead of POP3). The mail server and everything else is entirely the same.

As for your first question, I'm not clear on what you mean. IMAP keeps mail on the server so if it is never removed by the user then it can get quite full and use up quite a bit of disk space.

Comment

• DWalley
              • Jul 2004

Thanks Andrew,
              I just setup an email account on my server to test with. Then I went into outlook2007 and created the email account so i can check it. I set it to IMAP and mail servers to mail.mydomain.com. I then setup an account on my AT@T tilt windows as an IMAP4 account as the same address so I can check email on both devices.
              When I send an email from another address to the new address I get the email on my phone and if I login to webmail the email is there. But if I check the mail on the outlook 2007 client the email will not come down.

hmmm

Comment

• AndrewT
                Administrator
                • Mar 2004

This would point to a problem with your Outlook configuration.

Comment

Working...