Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frank Hagan
    • Mar 2004

IRC Hosts?

I have a client who is looking for a host for an IRC server application ... its a private, one-channel affair, so there's not a lot of bandwidth or space needed, but its not something we do here. It requires port 6667 to be open.

The program they are using is ngIRCd, at http://ngircd.barton.de/ Anyone know a host with their own server that would allow it?
  • ZYV
    • Sep 2005

I think that any VPS might do the trick. I mean e.g. buy a small and cheap VPS package specifically for IRC and host all the rest @ dathorn.

Comment

• Frank Hagan
      • Mar 2004

That's an idea; I don't know if they are looking at VPS. I know even dedicated servers often don't allow IRC clients (Dathorn doesn't on their managed servers).

Comment

• ZYV
        • Sep 2005

I'm always wondering what's the reason behind this decision, some kind of security issues?

OK, maybe finding an IRC-friendly VPS hoster might be more difficult than I thought, but I know of some friend in Russia who has a small VPS for a private one-channel IRC server, private torrent-tracker (written in C++, he's using in to share the Linux DVD's with the local LUG members) etc. So it's definitively possible, and I wish you best of luck :-)

Comment

• Frank Hagan
          • Mar 2004

There must be a security issue, either that or its a "camel's nose in the tent" type of thing (wherein, if you let the camel poke its nose in the tent, pretty soon the entire camel is in the tent). I suppose its hard to enforce the "one channel" promise.

I tried to steer them toward other chat services, like Meebo, but they have a few members who can't use the flash or javascript chat clients (mobile members and linux command line guys). They also say they have had problems with Macs connecting to the flash clients that are out there free.

Comment

• ZYV
            • Sep 2005

Hello, Frank!

Today I've met another friend of mine who works at the hosting company, providing cheap FreeBSD-based VDS running custom virtualized & jailed kernel. I have specifically asked him whether they do impose limits on hosting IRC servers and he said that as long as it is not used for some illegal activity or generates parasite traffic they don't care. The servers are located at NAC datacenter in the States and here goes the link to their website.

Guaranteed 64 Mbs of RAM is not so much, but largely enough for a one-channel IRC server, so you can order the cheapest VDS, wipe out everything you are not going to use (HTTP etc.) and try to compile and set up your software there. You will be still able to host all the rest at Dathorn.

Comment

• Frank Hagan
              • Mar 2004

Thanks, ZYV! That may work for them.

Comment

• Camo.Fish
                • Jul 2008

Why not just run it off an in-house server? One channel IRC could almost be handled on a modem!

Smart hosts ban IRC usage because IRC goes hand in hand with script kiddies, warez, pr0n, hackery and ddos! Why do you think our Dathorn sites are so fast all the time!

Comment

• ZYV
                  • Sep 2005

Ah well? We use it for collaboration on the projects. Hmm... I definitively need to post some pr0n on the channel.

Comment

• ChrisTech
                    • Mar 2004

IRC is nothing scary. There are plenty of hosts that you can host a small IRCD on (which is what it seems the poster was originally looking for).

I'm on IRC 24/7/365 (idle most of the time). Granted I do use a bnc to connect (just makes sense).
                    Hosting at Dathorn since March 2003!

My Interwebs speed on Charter Cable!

Comment

Working...