Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SeanFL
    • Jul 2006

Dathorn speed over fiber is fantastic!

Since last month I've been operating over a Verizon FIOS 20/20 connection. Each day I send pretty large files to a few servers: two of them are from Dathorn, and then I also work with a few of my customers servers.

I'm consistently getting between 15 and 20 meg down and up to the Dathorn servers. Many other servers seem to be closer to 5-10 meg.

So...Andrew, you've chosen a good datacenter, at least from my connectivity viewpoint. I've been very pleased with Dathorn for 5+ years. Very fast technical support (the rare times I've needed it) and now I can say very fast connectivity!

Sean
  • Grunfeld
    • Mar 2004

shhhh don't tell anyone .... hehehehe
    Yep Andrew's got it together here at Dathorn. I frequent several forums and I try to peek at the reseller webhosting and man it makes me realize just how lucky I am to be at Dathorn
    No worries Andrew and his group are on top of things.....
    Cheers,

Gary
    (This space for rent)

Comment

• AndrewT
      Administrator
      • Mar 2004

That's good to hear, thanks! In addition to the superb network, each server also has quite a few software level tweaks to permit high speed data transfers (>10Mbps) over long (physical) distances.

Happy Holidays!

Comment

• Camo.Fish
        • Jul 2008

Dathorn > *

Comment

• Pedja
          • Mar 2004

Lucky You. I use DAthorn for years and since the beginnig I have problems with FTP, unstable speed and very often disconnections. I'v changed several ISP's, and connection types during this time, but problems with FTP are the same.

Comment

• Camo.Fish
            • Jul 2008

Are you kidding? Firstly, if I had problems like that with a host, I would be *gone* in a heartbeat. Secondly, I find your statement very difficult to believe.

Look at the facts.. Dathorn servers are located in a Tier IV facility.. which is as good as it gets. Verizon, ATT, UUNET, Level3, all use services from the Dallas Infomart. It's all in the same building on the same backbones. I have most certainly never had issues with speed or reliability, even when serving up massive amounts of video/image streams.

Personally, I do not believe that I have *ever* had a problem with the services here that did not originate, and exist soley, between keyboard and chair. Not one trouble ticket can I recall had an answer like 'oh, so sorry, we messed up..', they are all 'Here is the solution that you need to implement, let us know if you need anything any help figuring it out'. 8 years or so like that.

To me, sounds like maybe you're a satellite user? I had those issues when I had a dish...

If you have tried several ISPs with the same results, I would suggest a thorough examination of things beginning with the connection to your building and on down the chain until you get to your chair... just my .02$.

Comment

• AndrewT
              Administrator
              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Pedja
              Lucky You. I use DAthorn for years and since the beginnig I have problems with FTP, unstable speed and very often disconnections. I'v changed several ISP's, and connection types during this time, but problems with FTP are the same.
              I can assure you that this is not due to anything on our end. FTP can be problematic for some users because of the way that it utilizes ports. I would recommend using SFTP instead. It is often much more reliable because it doesn't have to keep opening up different ports.

FileZilla is freely available and supports SFTP. On my Linux copy I just have to be sure and specify the SSH port (22) otherwise it will login to regular FTP on port 21 by default.

Comment

• Camo.Fish
                • Jul 2008

I am really surprised that you are still using filezilla, I would have thought you would mount them, as I do on occasion.

Comment

• AndrewT
                  Administrator
                  • Mar 2004

I rarely use FileZilla, usually only when connecting to a 3rdparty's server. FileZilla is quite popular among our customers though.

I tend to use SCP via the command line or just edit directly using SSH.

Comment

• ZYV
                    • Sep 2005

The situation with the Internet connectivity at 44° 48′ 58.32″ N, 20° 28′ 53.76″ E seems to be even worse than here in Nizhny. I didn't encounter any problems with FTP though, I often use it for quick fixing as shell is obviously not interactive enough at my ridiculous connection speeds.

Comment

• Pedja
                      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Camo.Fish
                      Are you kidding? Firstly, if I had problems like that with a host, I would be *gone* in a heartbeat. Secondly, I find your statement very difficult to believe.
                      Ok, then I lie. Probably because it makes me happy to lie. And I hate Dathorn. I hate it so much that I use it for years just to be able to hate it more.

[quote]
                      To me, sounds like maybe you're a satellite user? I had those issues when I had a dish...
                      [quote]

Nope.

If you have tried several ISPs with the same results, I would suggest a thorough examination of things beginning with the connection to your building and on down the chain until you get to your chair... just my .02$.
                      I did try several ISPs, several locations, several different internet networking approaches, and I always have the same problems.

I am not saying that Dathorn is problem, and I do not believe it is, just explaining problem that I have.

Comment

• SeanFL
                        • Jul 2006

try other ftp software?

I believe that you're seeing different results and have been wondering what would be different.

For what it's worth, I found great differences in different ftp programs. The program I was using for years, ftp-voyager, worked fine...when I got 20/20 fios, I found that I was not getting great speed either way (closer to 8/3 or so); just chalked it up to a bottleneck somewhere.

Then I tried filezilla and had great success. For most day to day stuff I end up using fireftp (a free firefox plugin) and it screams.

So it's worth trying some other ftp software, as well as trying a couple different machines. My experience has been very good for years with dathorn, and rock solid even with a 20/20 connection.

Sean

Comment

• Pedja
                          • Mar 2004

I use two FTP programs, and they work fine with other FTP servers. Problem shows just with Dathorn.

Comment

Working...