Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andy
    • Mar 2004

60 Mbps residential Internet

I just read this. This would be cool to have. I just upgraded my cable to 10Mbps, and I'm loving it.

Andrew are you signing up for this?
    Andy
  • AndrewT
    Administrator
    • Mar 2004

I saw that on Slashdot a couple days ago; might have to give it a whirl!

Comment

• ZYV
      • Sep 2005

ZOMG, guys I hate you. I really do. I have an FTTB connection over here in Nizhny which can in theory go up to 10 Gbps, still until recently I was paying $35 for 150 Kbit/s bandwidth and unmetered traffic to my ISP.

Now I'm paying the same amount of money for 600 Kbit/s of bandwidth but the traffic limit is 9.5 Gbs per mo. If the traffic limit is exceeded, the bandwidth is narrowed to 64 Kbit/s.

Not to mention frequent local network outages and cable failures between Nizhny and Moscow (the central traffic exchange hub).

Sounds crazy, doesn't it? Still, it's the best offer here in Nizhny. And mind you, in 2001 I was paying $35 for 64 Kbit/s / unmetered traffic. And everybody was freaking jealous calling me damned capitalist, he-he

Comment

• AndrewT
        Administrator
        • Mar 2004

Wow ZYV, I just couldn't live like that I'll have to send a couple Mbps your way...

Comment

• Frank Hagan
          • Mar 2004

I was happy when I moved to 5 Mbps on cable for $45 a month; I'm waiting for FiOS to come down the street for their 10 Mbps service. I can throw a rock and hit the house they ended the line with down the street, but it could be a year or two before they get down to where I'm at (I'm actually on a different CO).

Not sure what I'd do with 64 Mbps, other than run speed tests and gloat!

Comment

• ChrisTech
            • Mar 2004

I've currently got the 16Mbit (down) / 2 Mbit (up) Max service in South County (St. Louis, MO) and I love it! I've had it now since it came out.

Thats about what I usually see speed wise. I can generally pull 1.87 MB/s down and shove 265KB/s back up. Works great for remote work. I'm hoping with the download speed increasing, they can push the upload up a bit more.

The 60Mbit connection looks awesome, but only 5Mbit up? That's fairly slow for such a great downstream. If they had it at 10Mbit or (or like Fios's 20Mbit up) I'd get it in a heartbeat. (if its even available here).
            Last edited by ChrisTech; 02-03-2009, 03:02 PM. Reason: spelling typos =)
            Hosting at Dathorn since March 2003!

My Interwebs speed on Charter Cable!

Comment

• brownswo
              • Aug 2005

Finally, after four years, I'm supposed to get DSL next week (I live near Stuttgart, Germany). I've been using ISDN (64/128k) since I moved here, and I get to pay by the minute (no flat rate for dialup). 6mbps max (and probably closer to 2).

And to think that I moved here from the St. Louis area!

--Tom
              Tom Brownsword, CISSP, GCIA, Security+, ITILv3
              Information Assurance Analyst
              Colorado Springs, CO
              http://TheBusinessProtector.com
              http://BusinessActionSteps.com

Comment

• ChrisTech
                • Mar 2004

Charter just changed their policies in the last few months. Depending on your speed Tier, you get xxx transfer. Under 15 Mbit you get 100 GB over that (the 20/2 Mbit tier) you get 250 GB. If you have the above 60 Mbit plan, you have no transfer limit.

Granted the customer has no way to track their usage. If you use too much bandwidth you are suppossed to get a phone call, but I'm thinking they just set your modem to power cycle about every 45 minutes for the fun of it (I backed up a few websites, and downloaded a few other things the other day (roughly 65 GB), and got punished for about 24 hours of random disconnects even tho Charter claimed my modem had not been rebooted in like 45 days). Gotta love Charter.

Can't wait for ATT Uverse to get here. Screw the speed, I just want stable.

Comment

• brownswo
                  • Aug 2005

I'm happy to report that my 64k days are behind me:

Just wondering if anybody has gotten the 60 meg connection and tested it out?

--Tom
                  Tom Brownsword, CISSP, GCIA, Security+, ITILv3
                  Information Assurance Analyst
                  Colorado Springs, CO
                  http://TheBusinessProtector.com
                  http://BusinessActionSteps.com

Comment

• ChrisTech
                    • Mar 2004

I wish I had the 60 Mbit, but it's not worth the price. And the upload is fairly low. Here's the 20/2 meg free upgrade they gave all the 16/2 meg users.

Comment

• msalo
                      • Jun 2005

I have Comcast here in the Minneapolis area (North suburb).. Speed has been on a steady rise for 2 years now..

Here is the latest speedtest:

Comment

• ZYV
                        • Sep 2005

I can't believe my eyes, but I have to! It finally happened, I've got a decent internet connection:

Andrew, it worked, actually

Comment

• AndrewT
                          Administrator
                          • Mar 2004

Very nice. Sorry the mail was so slow on getting you those mbps

Comment

• ChrisTech
                            • Mar 2004

Just an update, Charter is seemingly offering their 60/5 mbit service to almost all of their servicable locations now. I have it available here (South County / St Louis, MO) but due to the high costs (over $100 a month) won't be getting it.

Also, Charter is testing (In Jeffco only) their spankin new 120 Mbit service. I'm not sure what type of upload they are offering with this, but from last info I recieved from a friend who work for Charter, advises they are planning to push this out to most of their service area by summer 2011.

Comment

• Jonathan
                              • Mar 2004

Wow. This make's my company's DSL speed offers look so slow

I've been dealing with hotel WiFi since April 5th myself :-(
                              This is a good speed test... only this fast since it is early morning:

Still 1 1/2 months of this... I hope Idaho hotels offer better WiFi services.
                              "How can someone be so distracted yet so focused?"
                              - C

Comment

Working...