Need a very basic file upload/download script.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • loyalrogue
    • Apr 2004

Need a very basic file upload/download script.

The client needs to be able to upload files (zip, doc, pdf) to their website and have the script generate a single download page which visitors can then download from.
    The client is NOT computer savvy so the simpler the better.

I have been searching several script sites with no luck yet.
    (btw, wth happened to hotscripts.com? 90% of the scripts I tried to view lead to expired/defunct websites?!?)

Does anyone know of a basic PHP script that can handle this?
    Any help would be appreciated.
  • AndrewT
    Administrator
    • Mar 2004

I do not personally know of any off hand but please make sure that the uploading is password protected in some manner.

Comment

• loyalrogue
      • Apr 2004

Thanks Andrew.
      I forgot to mention that the uploading needs to be protected.
      Only the client can upload to the directory, but any visitors can download from the generated download page.

Comment

• ZYV
        • Sep 2005

The system I've participated in the development of is http://sourceforge.net/projects/olatedownload/ , but since then it has been completely rewritten. The code looks nice, although the project looks stale, so you'd better check the bugtraq for the unhandled security advisories first.

Yet another piece of advice: whenever you use some ready-made script make sure you protect the administration area with old good .htaccess whether it has it's own authentication system or not. Even if the system is exploitable, chances are that the exploit will be rendered useless w/o the access to the admin part.

Comment

• Frank Hagan
          • Mar 2004

With all the exploits, I would find either something very current, or use a regularly updated CMS for this kind of function. It is a "sledgehammer" when a tack hammer is needed, but at least you can keep the CMS updated regularly.

I haven't used this one, but Drain Hole for WordPress has some positive comments, and its been continuously updated for the last three years. Used as a CMS, WordPress has some advantages, including one-click updates from the Admin panel that your customer can do themselves. And it looks like this plug in has security built in and a user management system in Wordpress.

Comment

Working...