Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frank Hagan
    • Mar 2004

MSN Redirect Domain Names

My newest client signed up for a domain name through MSN along with some enhanced services for his Hotmail account. Evidently it allows you to have 5 emails at "you@yourdomain.tld" that forward automatically to your Hotmail account. So he signed up his company name.

Here's the weird part. MSN evidently doesn't provide a way to change the domain name servers. You can enter a URL for the redirect to any web page you want. So my customer's new URL, which is his business name, can be redirected, but as far as I can tell, the user can't change the DNS information on the domain.

The registrar is enom; do they have a universal control panel? Or is he stuck with the redirect to another URL? Anyone run into this before?
  • openbox
    • Mar 2004

Does your customer have access to his/her control panel? Has he/she asked MSN?

Comment

• KyleC
      • Mar 2004

if what openbox said doesnt work, you could allways transfer the domain to another registar.
      -Kyle

Comment

• Frank Hagan
        • Mar 2004

He's not aware of any control panel, and the information on MSN's site doesn't indicate any links to a control panel. I may have to sign up with MSN (consorting with the devil?) to see how to handle it.

In the meantime, he has sent them an email. We'll see how fast they respond. The other option is to transfer the domain to another registrar if MSN allows it, or register the .net version of his domain and use it.

Comment

• KyleC
          • Mar 2004

i am sure they allow transfers, i think ICANN requires it.

But i have to belive that you can take control of the domains nameservers somewhere.
          -Kyle

Comment

• Frank Hagan
            • Mar 2004

MSN is a reseller of enom. Resellers are not governed by ICANN, so they can (and do) put up barriers to name transfer. DOMAINSNEXT.COM, for example, requires a signed notarized letter, $15 transfer fee, and a copy of the original credit card used to register the domain name.

You should never buy domain name registrations from anyone other than an accredited registrar because there are no governing authorities you can appeal to. MSN, if it decides to, can refuse to transfer the domain name, charge $1,000 to transfer it, etc. There is no one to stop them, other than civil action.

Comment

• willy
              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Frank Hagan
              You should never buy domain name registrations from anyone other than an accredited registrar because there are no governing authorities you can appeal to.
              I believe that eNom resellers must adhere to eNom's policies, including the Uniform Dispute Resolution Policy and eNom's Registration Agreement . If an eNom reseller tried to put up barriers to a domain name transfer, I think you could appeal directly to eNom.

Comment

• Frank Hagan
                • Mar 2004

You can appeal to the accredited registrar, but my experience with ITSYOURDOMAIN.COM -- the accredited registrar for DOMAINSNEXT.COM -- showed that the accredited registrar can simply ignore your complaints, and you have no recourse. Perhaps enom enforces their TOS on their resellers, but its not comforting knowing you have no recourse with any governing agency (such as ICANN). Not that ICANN is much help anyway.

I'm sure there will be more regulation of it in the future, but until then its buyer-beware.

Comment

Working...