Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SitesByRob
    • Apr 2004

Same site, new domain name

I have a customer who has a site that she has been working on for a couple of months. Then she decided to change her domain name. I didn't know if there was an easy way to take the guts of oldsite.com and simply rename it as newsite.com so I did a "poor man's" trick:

First, I did a home directory and database backup of oldsite.com. Then I set up a new account called newsite.com and restored the backups on that new site. Since that action overwrote the htaccess file I went in and fixed that. Now I plan to delete the account for oldsite.com and consider the case closed.

Everything seemed ok but I just noticed that my Joomla implementation is still showing oldsite.com in the Fantastico menu, meaning updates would have to be manual.

So I think I will start over. How should I be making this change?
    Last edited by SitesByRob; 10-05-2009, 06:42 PM.
  • AndrewT
    Administrator
    • Mar 2004

You can modify the account via WHM and change the domain. Just make sure that you allow the pages to fully load when doing this otherwise configuration problems may occur.

Comment

• SitesByRob
      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by AndrewT
      You can modify the account via WHM and change the domain. Just make sure that you allow the pages to fully load when doing this otherwise configuration problems may occur.
      OK, that worked. I didn't know modifying that would update all the files in the backend. That is great. I noticed that my Fantastico implementations (Joomla specifically) still reference the old domain, but I did an upgrade from the Fantastico control panel and it worked just fine.

Thanks Andrew.

Comment

Working...