Auto Purge Spam...Please tell me how?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pedja
    • Mar 2004

Filter should affect all email accounts.

Actually, it may be that filters are executed by order of definition, s ones before spam header filter may prevent spam filter to be executed. I have spamassasin filter set as the first filter.

I cannot see the way to change order of filter definitions. configuratin if,les may be accessible by shell but as far as I know it is not documented where to look for such information.

For thruth:

Just set spamassasing to mark messages. Then use mail filter option in cpanel to filter marked messages.

Comment

• truth
      • Mar 2004

Settings.

Thank you for your reply.

I think at last I understood how to create filters and my settings are as follow, but I still receive a lot of spam emails. Before setting the filters, none of the spam emails were named as SPAM in their subjects however I had set rewrite_subject to "1" long time ago..

Spam Assassin is currently: enabled
      Spam Box is currently: disabled

required_hits : 8
      rewrite_subject : 1
      subject_tag : SPAM

Filters
      $h_X-Spam-Status: begins "Yes" Discard
      $header_subject: is "SPAM" Discard

I will be glad if someone can let me know where I made mistake in the settings, or spamassasin is not very reliable itself...

Thank you.
      Regards

Comment

• felipe808
        • Mar 2004

Tools ; Select Rules Wizard

I think you are almost there. If you are using MS Outlook, go to Tools and select Rules Wizard. Check the box that will find the word Spam in the subject line and then check the box to Delete it.

All your mail will come to you and go directly to your Wastbasket Folder.

The trick for me was disabling the Spam box. I use the first three words in the body that Spam assassin puts on these emails.

Works great. Thanks for the help you all.

Comment

• -Oz-
          • Mar 2004

Yeah, i never got it to edit my subject. I just did as he did above, I used the first words that spamassasin(sp) uses.
          Dan Blomberg

Comment

• wayland
            • Mar 2004

Thanks for the tip!

Comment

• Pedja
              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by felipe808
              I think you are almost there. If you are using MS Outlook, go to Tools and select Rules Wizard. Check the box that will find the word Spam in the subject line and then check the box to Delete it.
              That is client side solution. We are talking about setting serer to kill email so it newer show in mail client.

Comment

• truth
                • Mar 2004

How strong?

Can anyone tell how strong spamassasin is? My setting is showing 8 but I still receive spam emails as the same amount before I enabled it...

Thank you.

Comment

• Pedja
                  • Mar 2004

I've set it to 5.

Comment

• felipe808
                    • Mar 2004

Kill spam at the server

Well, ok, when you figure out how to do it, please let me know.
                    All of it was piling up in the "Spam Box" and I had to go in and delete them..a time consuming process. When I disabled the "Spam Box" it goes to my client but a little work there let's the client ID them and send them to the Delete Directory I don't need to deal with them.
                    5 works for me pretty good.
                    Let me know what the settings are to auto-delete at server, por favor.

Comment

• truth
                      • Mar 2004

Ok here how my settings look. I think 'filtering the messages automatically' should work in this way but still I receive same amount of spam and none of their subject turns to SPAM..

I used these two pages from cpanel, Email Filtering and Spam Assassin

In Spam Assassin Configuration Page my settings are;

And I added a filter from E-mail Filtering as;

After that I added another one for the emails which their subject is SPAM to be discarded. And now the filter settings look like;

But still there are lots of spam email and none of their subject is SPAM as I set so...

Any idea what might be the reason?

Thank you.

Comment

• -Oz-
                        • Mar 2004

Do any of them have text that say SpamAssaisin has looked over this email and... or something similar? It may not be editing the subject.
                        Dan Blomberg

Comment

• felipe808
                          • Mar 2004

spam assassin

yes, that's what it does to mine and then if you tell the client to look for the first 3 words of the message and delete it if it finds it, it all goes to the Delect subdirectory and goes bye bye when I shut down Outlook.
                          Still some spam gets through but it is a lot less.

Is it possible to completely delete at the server? That would be nice and cut down on needless internet traffic.

Comment

• Pedja
                            • Mar 2004

You cannot delete all spam on server. What you can do is to set SpamAssasin to delete reqasonable amount of spam. But it alwys has to pass through some spam that he cannot be certain is spam. Otherwise there is a great risk of deleting something that is not spam.

As I said, I use level 5 for spam detection, and I decided upon that value after setting SpamAsasin to mark messages but not delete them. Then I checked levleof recognized messages and found out that 5.0 is reasonable. No message that is not spam had more than 4.x. It is quite safe to kill everything with level 5 or more.

My recomendation, about using SpamAssassin to set it to just mark messages at first, not to kil them on server. that way you may check if it works and how it works. when you are sure what is going on you may set server to kill mesages.

What you have now is quite understanding. You've set level to 9 and st server to kill recognized spam. Now you are receiving (i am sure a lot of) spam which is not marked (since it has level less than 9 and all marked spam is deleted, so it confuses you. Turn of spam killing on server and set SpamAsasin level to 5 and let it go for few days to se what is going on. Then set server to kill marked messages.

Comment

• truth
                              • Mar 2004

My mistake...

Ok, I just understood my mistake... I was thinking when the number becomes bigger, spamassasin becomes more sensitive but I was wrong. It becomes more sensitive when the number is smaller...

Thank you all..

Comment

Working...