Thread: SFTP

Default SFTP

I have a requirement to set up SFTP for several users of a domain.

After browsing through the forums I found an old thread:

http://forums.dathorn.com/showthread...highlight=sftp

that indicated:

"To enable SSH on an account you simply need to modify the account via WHM and check the "Shell" check box. "

which sounds great, but also:

"SSH access is only available for the domain user"

As that was an old thread I wanted to check whether that is the current situation and if so does that mean I won't be able to set up SFTP for several users of the site?

On a related question is it possible to force SFTP to be used (ie normal ftp won't work)?

SFTP uses SSH which is available for the cPanel user only. Additional FTP accounts created via cPanel can only be used via FTP or FTPS. It is not possible to disable specific services on a domain (such as FTP).

Thanks for the info Andrew.

As they will be additional FTP accounts created via cPanel I can instruct users to use FTPS but I suspect at some point someone will use noraml FTP without the SSL/TSL instead. I suspect the answer will still be no but I probably phrased my orginal last question wrongly. Rather than disabling standard FTP is there a way to force FTPS - maybe in a similar way to using .htaccess and mod_rewrite to force https. I know that's for Apache but is there something similar or a configuration file to force the ftp server to only accept FTPS connections using SSL/TLS?

You cannot force FTPS.

Thread Information