Suggestions on FTP issues

Hiya all,

So its been awhile since I've made any changes to my 1 website that I still
    have. I went to connect with my FTP and it would not connect. I have:
    • Verified username and password
    • Tried a new FTP program
    • Tried three (3) internet connections to ensure that wasn't it
    • Tried both my cPanel user/pass and tried to add @domain.com
    • Checked my Firewall and the 2 programs I tried were not blocked.

I just want to see if anyone else have ever ran into this problem or had any
    suggestions on basic stuff that I may have over looked... the two FTP programs
    that I have tried are CoreFT and CoffeeCup FTP.
    "How can someone be so distracted yet so focused?"
    - C
  • AndrewT
    Administrator
    • Mar 2004

Please go ahead and submit a ticket and include the complete login information (server, user, pass) that you are using.

Comment

• Jonathan
      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by AndrewT
      Please go ahead and submit a ticket and include the complete login information (server, user, pass) that you are using.
      Will do. Thank you.
      - C

Comment

• ChrisTech
        • Mar 2004

Was the issue resolved? Anything that will help out others in similar situations or such?
        Hosting at Dathorn since March 2003!

My Interwebs speed on Charter Cable!

Comment

• AndrewT
          Administrator
          • Mar 2004

Yep. It was just a case of incorrect login information which isn't always obvious. Your WHM password will allow you into an account's cPanel but this will not work for FTP.

Comment

• Jonathan
            • Mar 2004

Yep. It was just a case of incorrect login information which isn't always obvious. Your WHM password will allow you into an account's cPanel but this will not work for FTP.
            Yep. I'll admit its been awhile since I've really worked on this particular
            site and I did not realize I was using my WHM password to log into cPanel.
            But now a port issue is holding me up. I haven't had time to call my ISP to
            figure it out since Andrew helped spot that it appears 21 is blocked.

Oh well. It'll have to wait til next month when I get back from NY again.
            - C

Comment

• AndrewT
              Administrator
              • Mar 2004

This is not an issue with Port 21 being blocked (since you are able to connect initially) but with other ports apparently being blocked. FTP uses a large number of ports due to the way that it functions. As in your ticket I highly recommend using SFTP. It is far more secure and does not have such a problem, it simply operates over the SSH port (22).

Comment

• Jonathan
                • Mar 2004

This is not an issue with Port 21 being blocked (since you are able to connect initially) but with other ports apparently being blocked. FTP uses a large number of ports due to the way that it functions. As in your ticket I highly recommend using SFTP. It is far more secure and does not have such a problem, it simply operates over the SSH port (22).
                Ahh, gotcha. I'm sorry- misunderstood initially. My mind is on a million
                different things with work and all. Then with the whole flying and traveling
                thing tossed in the mix (I hate flying)... well, just not a good
                - C

Comment

• AndrewT
                  Administrator
                  • Mar 2004

No worries. I just wanted to clarify so you weren't trying to fix a problem that didn't exist.

Comment

Working...