Thread: Help with .htaccess to prevent file access

Default Help with .htaccess to prevent file access

In the script I'm using, I find that most directories don't have an .htaccess file to prevent unwanted scripts from running or even index.html file to prevent browsing of the dir.

I find adding those files on an individual directory basis very time consuming and tired.

I would like to have a rule, or set of them, in .htaccess that'll allow me to block every PHP script from being accessed directly via URL, except a couple of index.php files that seem to be all that's needed to run the website.

Is there a way to achieve this?

Thanks!

It turns out that the admin directory uses more php files than just index...

After a lot of reading on .htaccess, I came up with this code, which seems to be working:

Code:
    # Only allow to open PHP files in root or admin directories.
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !admin
    RewriteRule ^.*/.*\.php$ / [R,NC]
    I tried to open php files in several directories, and so far it seems to be working fine.

Does anyone here see something wrong with it that I may not have realized yet?

Thanks!

I don't get why you can't just put an .htaccess file with the only content of "deny from all" in this folder. It will be leaps faster than using mod_rewrite.

Yeah, but then I'd have to add it to every folder I want to deny, instead of doing everything from a single .htaccess file in root, right? And can I only do it with PHP files and let other files (e.g. images) be accessed? I don't want to be checking all the theme directories, etc., to permit or not the right ones.

I'm completely new to .htaccess, so I appreciate your comment and look forward to your answer to my question.

I'm looking for a solution that'll let me simply do all from a single place. Even if mod_rewrite is slower, the sites I'm working with receive very little traffic and they already have rewrite rules for the URLs to make them more SEO friendly.

You can use <Directory> and <File> tags to apply the restrictions from the .htaccess in the root to the subfolders centrally. Check out the documentation on the subject.

What script are you using?

IIRC, Joomla for instance doesn't use .htaccess for protection, but does a check at the start of each script...

Code:
    Options -Indexes
    Should stop directory listings

Thread Information