Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • anguz
    • Mar 2004

Help with .htaccess to prevent file access

In the script I'm using, I find that most directories don't have an .htaccess file to prevent unwanted scripts from running or even index.html file to prevent browsing of the dir.

I find adding those files on an individual directory basis very time consuming and tired.

I would like to have a rule, or set of them, in .htaccess that'll allow me to block every PHP script from being accessed directly via URL, except a couple of index.php files that seem to be all that's needed to run the website.

Is there a way to achieve this?

Thanks!
  • anguz
    • Mar 2004

It turns out that the admin directory uses more php files than just index...

After a lot of reading on .htaccess, I came up with this code, which seems to be working:

Code:
    # Only allow to open PHP files in root or admin directories.
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !admin
    RewriteRule ^.*/.*\.php$ / [R,NC]
    I tried to open php files in several directories, and so far it seems to be working fine.

Does anyone here see something wrong with it that I may not have realized yet?

Thanks!

Comment

• ZYV
      • Sep 2005

I don't get why you can't just put an .htaccess file with the only content of "deny from all" in this folder. It will be leaps faster than using mod_rewrite.

Comment

• anguz
        • Mar 2004

Yeah, but then I'd have to add it to every folder I want to deny, instead of doing everything from a single .htaccess file in root, right? And can I only do it with PHP files and let other files (e.g. images) be accessed? I don't want to be checking all the theme directories, etc., to permit or not the right ones.

I'm completely new to .htaccess, so I appreciate your comment and look forward to your answer to my question.

I'm looking for a solution that'll let me simply do all from a single place. Even if mod_rewrite is slower, the sites I'm working with receive very little traffic and they already have rewrite rules for the URLs to make them more SEO friendly.

Comment

• ZYV
          • Sep 2005

You can use <Directory> and <File> tags to apply the restrictions from the .htaccess in the root to the subfolders centrally. Check out the documentation on the subject.

Comment

• Elite
            • Apr 2004

What script are you using?

IIRC, Joomla for instance doesn't use .htaccess for protection, but does a check at the start of each script...

Code:
            Options -Indexes
            Should stop directory listings

Comment

Working...