Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: "Blocked by ACL" - Gmail Woes

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    724

    Default "Blocked by ACL" - Gmail Woes

    I have a persistent problem for some of my customers who are using Gmail to collect and send email from their hosted sites. When their customers try to send them email to their domain, some ISPs refuse the email address as "forged" and bounce the message back to the sender. I have tried enabling domain keys and playing around with the settings in Cpanel, but haven't been able to get the right combination of things for them. And yet, I do the very same thing with my emails, and never get blocked.

    Now they are also getting the same issue when people send email to their ISP address.

    Here is an example of the bounce notice sent back to the sender:
    Recipient: <kathleen@customerdomain.com>
    Reason: Blocked by ACL. Forged gmail.com email, connection denied!

    Original-Recipient: RFC822;<emailaddr@roadrunner.com>
    Final-Recipient: RFC822; <emailaddr@roadrunner.com>
    Action: failed
    Status: 5.1.1
    Remote-MTA: dns; customerdomain.com (74.86.90.185)
    Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 Blocked by ACL. Forged gmail.com email, connection denied!
    X-Actual-Recipient: RFC822; <kathleen@customerdomain.com>
    In this case, the email was sent to their ISP email address, "emailaddr@roadrunner.com". The "Original-Recipient" is their ISP email address. The route should have been from that email address, to Gmail, to them.

    I suspect it might be something in their Gmail configuration. Has anyone else run into this?
    Last edited by Frank Hagan; 12-14-2010 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Clarify recipient

  2. #2
    Administrator AndrewT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Tulsa, OK
    Posts
    3,640

    Default

    Our server is returning with this error because the email is being sent with a gmail.com from address but not from a valid gmail.com mail server. We can exempt recipient domains from these checks but this can of course result in more spam being received.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    724

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
    Our server is returning with this error because the email is being sent with a gmail.com from address but not from a valid gmail.com mail server. We can exempt recipient domains from these checks but this can of course result in more spam being received.
    I have had a few bounce this morning when sending them email from within my Gmail web interface (using my gmail email address as the "From" email). I wonder if the Gmail server is not identifying itself correctly?

  4. #4
    Administrator AndrewT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Tulsa, OK
    Posts
    3,640

    Default

    You'll need to submit a ticket with the details so that I can take a look.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    724

    Default

    Thanks ... I'm starting to get "the rest of the story" now. There are a couple of forwards in place too, so I'm going to try and unravel that first.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    724

    Default

    Just for posterity's sake, I thought I would post the problem and solution here. I did submit a trouble ticked I marked "non-urgent; take your time" with the email headers, and Andrew responded in under two minutes. I would hate to see him when he's in a rush!

    The customer was forwarding their Roadrunner ISP email to her domain, then using Gmail to retrieve mail from both the ISP and their domain. The forward was set to not delete mail so her husband could download it. My customer got two copies of each RR email that way (most of the time).

    Andrew recognized that the server sent the "forged gmail.com" message because it was receiving mail from a RR server routed through Gmail. Looks suspicious. The wife didn't realize what was going on because even though people were telling her about the error, she was still getting their message (Gmail was also retrieving off her RR account.)

    So the solution was to re-configure the customer's other email services. A forward from RR to the Gmail account (rather than her domain) and setting the husband's mail program to log in to the RR account only and delete the messages after retrieval solved the problem.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •