Can you recommend a good image gallery/hosting script?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yaroslav
    • Mar 2004

Can you recommend a good image gallery/hosting script?

I am looking for a simple script to facilitate hosting and sharing pictures. In a nutshell - I need a place to upload a picture or two really fast and get the HTML code to embed that picture somewhere (e.g. here on the forums).

Specifically, I need something that is:
    1. (ideally) freeware (I can pay for s script if it's fabulously good)
    2. allows multiple file uploads in some convenient fashion (some scripts take ZIP files - that would be great);
    3. allows hotlinking (i.e., once uploaded, the link to the image shouldn't ever change, even if I move the image to an album);
    4. generates thumbnails of configurable size;
    5. generates pastable IMG code:
      • HTML
      • (ideally) BBcode
      • (ideally) HTML for multiple images at once (a table with thumbnails)

6. is secure:
      • uploads are login-protected (duh)
      • gallery/album access is also restrictable (I want to share individual images, but I don't want anyone to roam in my stash)

What I totally don't care for, and what would probably be a drawback:
    1. fancy Flash-based gallery view modes (this will rarely be used as a gallery by anyone except myself)
    2. "hotlink protection" (I need the script exactly for the purpose of hotlinking, so would have to disable)
    3. forced auto-resize or auto-quality for JPEGs (the script I run now re-saves every image with predefined quality - that is BAD, I want the images to be stored as is)

That's pretty much it. Sounds pretty basic but I can't find a good implementation so far Everything is bloated with features I don't need.

Any recommendations much appreciated!

P.S. I will host it on LAMP, MySQL is OK (I know some scripts brag about being MySQL-free - I don't care for that.)
  • brett
    • Mar 2004

For hosting your own, I would use none other than Gallery. Supports drag and drop uploading with some fancy java, and I've even set it up to upload thousands of images, and it has worked! If a service is an option, use Flickr. If control of your own is a must, then Gallery is pretty sweet!

I've hidden albums before and simply used the code for ebay descriptions and such. Works like a charm.

Comment

• Yaroslav
      • Mar 2004

Thanks, will give it a shot Looks pretty busy, but maybe I can cut it down to just what I need

Comment

Working...