Gmail - Which secured connections and ports are supported?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • loyalrogue
    • Apr 2004

Gmail - Which secured connections and ports are supported?

Hi Andrew, or anyone else who has the answer.

I'm setting up a gmail account before I go on vacation.

Gmail offers a few SMTP secured connections and port choices for sending mail using our server. TLS, SSL, ports 587, 465, and 25.

I'm sure I could use port 25 unsecured, but want to know if our servers support any of the secured options.

*Edit* - To answer my own question, I just tried TLS on port 587 and SSL on port 465, and our server accepted them both.
    Last edited by loyalrogue; 09-02-2011, 09:46 AM.
  • AndrewT
    Administrator
    • Mar 2004

Our server will indeed accept any standard TLS or SSL configuration as you've noted.

Comment

• ALeClair
      • Nov 2012

Will Dathorn block SSL/Port 465 for any reason on an individual hosting account? I have a domain that was sending emails cleanly via GMail, PHP, SMTP/465 for about 3 weeks (< 50 emails) and now all I get is socket timeouts. Is there anyway in CPanel to see if this is being blocked?

Comment

• AndrewT
        Administrator
        • Mar 2004

Unfortunately this is a symptom of a new restriction that we had to put in place. By default every user is strictly prohibited from connecting to remote SMTP servers. We can enable this on a case by case basis if you submit a ticket. We finally had to enforce this because far too many clients were running old, vulnerable scripts which were being exploited by attackers to send spam while bypassing our SMTP (directly connecting to MX records).

Comment

• ALeClair
          • Nov 2012

I'm actually relieved this is the case. I was cringing at the thought of having to try and chase down some GMail blacklist or something similar. I've submitted a trouble ticket. Thanks again Andrew.

Comment

Working...