Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pedja
    • Mar 2004

Issue with moving to new servers

My account has been moved on new server on friday. However, there are lots of DNS-es where dns info for domains are not refreshed. That means, lots of connections to that domains still go to old server. Actually, on my account, most of domains are still pointing to old sever.

This is not a big issue with sites which are static, but this means all contents on dynamic sites like forums and blogs added now will be lost once dns refreshes. This goes to for ftp service: any update to site still goes to old server. Email is definitely on its knees as all email coming to domain also still goes to wrong server.

Is there anything Dathorn can do to make at least email work, like rerouting all smtp and pop3 traffic from old server to new one? Email is most important as I now have number of clients jumping on my back because service does not work.

I would not be concerned if this is few hours or even day or two after move (after all move was introduced on friday so it had three days of low trafic). But five days are passed and DNS still points to wrong server. This is five days of server mallfunction.
  • Grunfeld
    • Mar 2004

Did you submit a trouble ticket ..??
    When my server was migrated, there was a issue with Postini and I submitted a ticket and it was fixed within 5 minutes
    Cheers,

Gary
    (This space for rent)

Comment

• AndrewT
      Administrator
      • Mar 2004

Per your ticket, and as we discussed the week before, you have not updated your custom name servers to the new IP addresses as announced back in July. As such, any domains using these custom name servers will still be pointed to the old server.

Comment

• ZYV
        • Sep 2005

Hi Andrew!

Is it possible to also put the new shared IPs in the migration announcements? I have a number of domains where I manage the zones completely on my own and only use Dathorn's shared IPs for specific subdomains... I need to know the IPs in advance, so that I can update the A and MX records as the migration starts.

Thanks!

Comment

• AndrewT
          Administrator
          • Mar 2004

The destination server isn't always set in stone when the announcement is made. If you submit a ticket I can let you know.

Comment

• ZYV
            • Sep 2005

Thanks, I will then submit a TT when it's my server's turn...

Comment

• ZYV
              • Sep 2005

Andrew, could you please tell when are you switching the DNS to the new machine? Does this happen only when the migration is completed? Do you lower the TTL beforehand?

It does seem to me, that some mail is still coming to the old servers, because old DNS entries got stuck into some ISP DNS caches which are likely to take a couple of days to expire.

What's you strategy of dealing with that? Is the mail going to be relayed to the new machine, manually injected into the new server before disconnecting the old server or plainly rejected by the old server at the receiving stage?

Thanks!

Comment

• AndrewT
                Administrator
                • Mar 2004

Each domain's zone file is updated to the new IP address upon it being restored to the new server. The TTL is set to 4 hours by default.

Email is still accepted by the old server and can be checked there using the old server's IP address or host name if this is a concern. For most practical purposes this isn't an issue with a 4 hour TTL.

Comment

• ZYV
                  • Sep 2005

Hi!

Thanks for the quick reply, it explained it all. I have fetched the email manually from the old server, got quite a few duplicates (huh?), but also the mail that was missing.

I understand that you can't go much lower than 4h really, but I wonder of what could be a more graceful solution... For now, I'll try to fetch the mail from the old server again just before it's taken offline to make sure that I won't miss anything.

Z.

Comment

Working...