X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave
    • Mar 2004

Gallery Software-Least of a hog?

Hello everyove.

Been with Dathorn for a couple of months now. Excellent service and support.. I have already learned quite a bit just by surfing these forums.

In an earlier thread I saw a lot of discussion about forum software, which one was the least of a resource hog. I have used many of the main ones but saw links to others that were consideralby smaller solutions. I installed one the other day.. Works great!

Now, I was wanting to ask that some questions about image galleries.. I noticed there are 2 of them in the scripts library in the c-panel. Which one of those is the least of a hog and, is ther any others out there worth considering?

Thanks
    Dave
    Sorry I gave up blogging for web design.
  • Grunfeld
    • Mar 2004

I am using Gallery on a couple of sites and have had no issues ( well minor ones with some changes here at Dathorn) Gallery is a great program and very easy to use and make work with your site and has a HUGE following ..

Cheers,

Gary
    Cheers,

Gary
    (This space for rent)

Comment

• reviewum.com
      • Mar 2004

I second Gallery! It may have a bit of a learning curve, but it is so easy for people to use.

I have a lot of family / friends that use it that are not computer savy AT ALL and it works great for them.

As far as it being a "hog".... I'm not sure, but it doesn't require a DB backend, and seems to run very quickly.
      www.reviewum.com - Teacher Reviews - Professor Ratings
      www.nifty-stuff.com - All Kinds Of Nifty Stuff (mostly LEDs)
      www.LudCon.com - Ludlow Concepts

Comment

• Dave
        • Mar 2004

Thank you.. I took a look at that and it looks great..

I'll give it a try!

Comment

• reviewum.com
          • Mar 2004

By the way, the learning curve was for the install, not the use of the Gallery (which is super easy)

Even the install can be a breaze if you have NetPBM installed on your server and know where it is.

There are a million and a half options in the install / setup, but the program walks you through them pretty easilly and you can leave 99.9 % of the stuff as the default.

If anything isn't setup correctly the script will let you know during the install and how to fix it.

The biggest issues I ran into the first time were:

1) Getting the NetPBM binaries installed (uploaded) and to work correctly with the correct attribute settings.

2) Learning to use SSH to set the setup to config mode (this ends up being the easiest and fastest way to do this, but you can also use FTP to set permissions... CPanel attribute / permissions is WAY buggy).

3) Remembering to create the temp and albums folders and change their permissions.

After I learned (and remembered) how to do these, I can setup Gallery in 2 minutes.

I actually created an install of Gallery, created the folders, set permissions, uploaded the NetPBMs, and before going in and editing the setup I created a tarball of everything. Now when I want to install Gallery on one of my accounts I:

1) Login to SSH to the account where I'm putting Gallery
          2) Ftp from SSH to an account where I'm storing the tarball Gallery file.
          3) Untar the file in the account
          4) Run the the "sh configure.sh" command
          5) Run the setup / config (leaving 99% to defaults)
          6) Run teh "sh secure.sh" command
          All Done!

I don't know why Gallery doesn't make the setup a bit easier for the newbies, especially since it doesn't require a DB. It should come with NetPBM and the temp / albums folders already created and ready to go.

I'm not a programmer, but I'm pretty sure they could make the setup / install process even more easy.

Good luck!

Comment

• Grunfeld
            • Mar 2004

If you send a ticket to supprt they will tell you where the NETPBM galleries are installed ...... that is over half the battle .....

Cheers,

Gary
            Cheers,

Gary
            (This space for rent)

Comment

• Dave
              • Mar 2004

Good Lord..

I may just install the thing for the exeriance..LOL

That seems pretty involved.. But at least you say it is well documented.. I have ran into problems in the past trying to install things because of poor instructions.. Very confusing for a newbe like myself..

I was using a host that used Plesk for thier control panel.. I had to install all the scripts myself.. I learned a lot.. This was before I even knew that Cpanel existed with all of its one click installs..

Thanks for the tips
              Dave

Comment

• reviewum.com
                • Mar 2004

If the documentation doesn't work, they have an EXCELLENT FAQ on their site. If that doesn't work, then they have EXCELLENT help forums... if that doesn't work, then give up!

Comment

Working...