Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mystic
    • Nov 2006

Tiny Tiny RSS on Dathorn

I am planning to host Tiny Tiny RSS on my account at Dathorn but I am concerned about the "updating feeds" method that is recommend:

This is the recommended way to update feeds. Please use it if you have access to PHP CLI interpreter and can run background processes. You can run single-process update daemon or update_daemon2.php (multi-process, runs several update tasks in parallel) using PHP cli interpreter.

Please do not ever run update daemon or any PHP processes as root. It is recommended, but not required, to run the daemon under your website user id (usually www-data or something like that) to prevent cache file ownership issues.

Run: php ./update.php -daemon (single process) or php ./update_daemon2.php (multi-process)

The script doesn't daemonize (e.g. detach from the terminal). You can force it into background using external utility like start-stop-daemon in Debian. Alternatively, you can run it under screen.
    Do you think I can get this working on Dathorn? I had asked about using screen on Dathorn before and then I was told that it is not possible. When I tried to run screen ust now, I get the "Must be connected to a terminal" error message.
  • AndrewT
    Administrator
    • Mar 2004

Sorry, we do not allow background processes to be run on the servers. In general this isn't something that is permissible in shared hosting.

That aside, just to clarify, screen cannot be used due to the jailshell environment.

Comment

• mystic
      • Nov 2006

Thanks for the response. Decided to host it on a VPS.

Comment

Working...