Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SitesByRob
    • Apr 2004

Redirect to IP with Masking

OK, this is one of those questions I seem to find several answers for. I've read through this forum and our old friend Google but am not sure my case is addressed.

What I want to do is redirect www.mydomain.com to 12.34.56.78 but I want the address window in the browser to still say www.mydomain.com. From what I gather, the only way to do this is with an iframe. Setting up a redirect or editing the .htaccess file directly will not affect what appears in the browser address box. True?

Also, to add on a couple dumb questions, Is there any practical difference between setting up a redirect in cpanel and adding an A record? I suspect the difference has to do with SEO, but since this is going to be a members-only site I am not too worried about search engine placement.

And, forwarding the domain doesn't affect mail right? I can still send/receive email for this domain using the Dathorn account, correct? Sorry if that is really elementary, but I want to be completely sure.
    Last edited by SitesByRob; 08-07-2012, 08:35 PM.
  • AndrewT
    Administrator
    • Mar 2004

If you simply wish to point the domain to another IP address, I would recommend just having us change this in the domain's DNS zone. This way you won't need an iframe or something like that. Using a redirect will result in the browser showing the IP address in the address bar. Change the A record in the domain's DNS zone will allow you to see the domain in the address bar as long as the destination site itself isn't redirecting requests to the IP address.

Regardless of which option you choose, email functionality can remain on our servers.

Comment

• SitesByRob
      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by AndrewT
      If you simply wish to point the domain to another IP address, I would recommend just having us change this in the domain's DNS zone.
      OK, Andrew, that makes sense. I will open a ticket to request the change to the DNS zone.

Comment

Working...