Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rogerhc
    • Sep 2010

Network

Sometimes my connection to the Internet in general seems fine but my connection to cpanel76 is erratically slow, frustratingly slow, delays of 10, 20 and even 50 seconds.

I use Comcast's cable Internet service to connect to the Internet.

Through Comcast I have good speed connecting to Google.com, Yahoo.com, en.Wikipedia.com/wiki/User:Rogerhc, the Internet in general, but at the same time erratically slow speed connecting to Teflpedia.com (on cpanel76).

When I check teflpedia.com with Altertra.com (I type teflpedia.com into the Spot Check tool there) I see my site is online and serving pages to places around the world at times ranging from 1 to 4 seconds. I can check as many times as I like and the range stays mostly between 1 to 4 seconds. I'd rather it stayed closer to 1 second but it is a MediaWiki site (PHP and MySQL) and pages are generated on the fly. But I can cope with these times and it is usually closer to 1 second than 4.

What is with Comcast's connection to our datacenter in Dallas though?

Why do I get page load delays of of 10, 20, or even 50 seconds in bad cases, to cpanel76 over my Comcast cable ISP (I'm in Palo Alto, California)?

It is an erratic problem that comes in waves sometimes when I am trying to get work done on my site and drives me crazy.

When I check with my AT&T smart phone, I get the same Teflpedia.com page loaded in 1 or 2 seconds, no problems. So I suspect some intermittent problem with Comcast connecting to Dallas.

Any tips on where I can read more about this?

Anyone else have this trouble with Comcast connecting to the Dathorn servers or your sites at Dathorn?

Thanks!
  • AndrewT
    Administrator
    • Mar 2004

Unless there are issues with your scripts, they will execute on the server virtually instantaneously. I can assure you that there are absolutely no performance problems with any of our servers or network. I wouldn't put much weight into Alertra's reported load times as long as they are all close and reasonable as you've noted (1-4 seconds). Their tool will frequently report higher page load times than one would actually see, particularly when a decent amount of text is present.

Comcast is a major US ISP and as a result we have a lot of clients that use them. This is most certainly not a widespread problem with traffic from Comcast. We have received no reports of problems of any kind. Even when there are issues with Comcast's network (which do happen, although more rarely as of late) we usually start getting tickets in fairly quickly despite the fact that it is not our problem. I cannot even recall that last Comcast problem that impacted traffic to our network it was so long ago.

All that said, if you submit a ticket we can go through a bit of troubleshooting to see if we can shed any light on anything for you.

Comment

Working...