X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • icycle
    • Apr 2004

moving a godaddy hosted Wordpress site to Dathorn

Hi,

I've got a Dathorn reseller account and am working with a friend of mine to migrate here under me from godaddy. He's got a couple URLs mapped to the same wordpress site and I'm trying to figure out the best way to do this. Right now, he's got:

A.com -> primary site
    B.com -> redirects to A.com per .htaccess file
    B.com/suffixes1-N -> redirect to other pages for the user (twitter/linkedin/etc) per .htaccess file

I've created a new test account for B.com and migrated the wordpress site and database over. However, b/c the WP site is configured to A.com, I temporarily changed two database entries (wp_options.siteurl and .home) to use the B.com root. We've since changed the nameservers for B.com to point to Dathorn and things are mostly working. However, A.com still appears in quite a few places within the wp_options table of the database, and I think that's why some of the test site (images, mostly) are still pulling from A.com. We've speculated that these database entries may be for WP plugins, but it's frustrating that the top level domain is stored so many places. I elected not to do a global replace, although there appear to be plugins to aid WP domain name changes.

Thus, I figured that by pointing A.com nameservers to dathorn, then changing the two modified database entries to A.com again, things would "just work". We did that and things were bad. First, dathorn didn't know about A.com since I'd forgotten to put it into this same account somehow. I added A.com as a parked domain to the B.com account, using the same top level domain root as A.com, hoping it would serve the same identical site. This didn't work right either so we switched the nameservers back to godaddy (current host) until we figure this out.

So I'm looking for some advice. The site and database are migrated, but the domain parking/addon thing has me puzzled. It may also be a problem that the account is currently tied to B.com which is not the intended primary URL. I could not find a way to change an account's domain once set in WHM initially.

Thanks in advance,
    Brett
  • AndrewT
    Administrator
    • Mar 2004

We can change the domain of an existing cPanel account for you if you would like. You'll simply need to submit a ticket requesting that we do so. However, adding a.com as a parked domain via the b.com cPanel would function much the same. From your explanation I don't see why any reason why you'd have had problems with that.

Instead of changing the DNS I would recommend testing by simply modifying your system's hosts file to point the domain to our server for testing purposes. This will make your computer think that the DNS is pointed to us even though it isn't. You'll just have to point the domain to the IP address that is listed for the account in WHM. Keep in mind that if you test this with a.com you still have to change the domain of the account from b.com to a.com or park a.com on b.com as noted above.

Comment

• icycle
      • Apr 2004

Thank you Andrew. I took a few days off of this issue and am back to it now. Thanks for the tip about mod'ing my local hosts file, much easier to test now. I was able to repro the bad behavior with this method and perhaps I should submit a ticket for help where I can share the specifics of this account. The error I get now, which is the one I got before when switching the A.com DNS servers to Dathorn, is from cPanel:

SORRY!
      If you are the owner of this website, please contact your hosting provider: webmaster@A.com

It is possible you have reached this page because:

The IP address has changed.
      The IP address for this domain may have changed recently. Check your DNS settings to verify that the domain is set up correctly. It may take 8-24 hours for DNS changes to propagate.
      There has been a server misconfiguration.
      Please verify that your hosting provider has the correct IP address configured for your Apache settings and DNS records. A restart of Apache may be required for new settings to take affect.
      The site may have been moved to a different server.
      The URL for this domain may have changed or the hosting provider may have moved the account to a different server.

cPanel, Inc.
      Copyright © 2014 cPanel, Inc
      This is with A.com parked to the top level of the B.com account. B.com is accessible via DNS, A.com is pointing to B.com/cPanel IP addr via /etc/hosts.

Comment

• icycle
        • Apr 2004

Using a tip on the net, I found that by using an absolute domain (A.com. with trailing dot), the test site now loads properly for parked A.com. Thinking perhaps .htaccess was getting in the way, I renamed it and retried w/o the trailing dot and it was still broken, redirecting to /cgi-sys/defaultwebpage.cgi and displaying cPanel error above.

Since then I edited the parked domain redirection for A.com, tried '/.', then '.', and finally removed redirection altogether and now it's working. I didn't believe it was redirecting anywhere before, but I may have been wrong. I've put the old .htaccess back in place and it continues to work w/o the trailing '.' on the domain name. Not sure exactly what did it, but things appear to be mostly working.

Just a wordpress plugin to provide a mobile friendly site is still problematic.

Thanks for the help.
        Brett

Comment

• AndrewT
          Administrator
          • Mar 2004

You probably just needed to clear your browser's cache. That default site redirect will get cached.

Comment

Working...