Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Backup Bob
    • May 2004

Mail through GoDaddy

I am hosting two domains on Dathorn with e-mail through GoDaddy.

GoDaddy will not turn on the e-mail until I have Dathorn update the MX entries. They have several items to update whereas Dathorn offers only one MX record.

MX Modifications:
    MX 10 smtp.secureserver.net
    MX 50 mailstore1.secureserver.net

CName modifications:
    mail.<domain name>.Com mapped to pop.secureserver.net
    email.<comain name>.Com mapped to email.secureserver.net

All of this seems unnecessarily complex. If I signed up for e-mail through my prior registrar, NameSecure, they sent the hosting to Dathorn and left the MX records pointing to their servers.

Has anyone else run into this problem? I have written GoDaddy to find out what is going on.
    A very satisfied customer since 06/02/03. Dathorn rocks!
  • Pedja
    • Mar 2004

It seems primary DNS for your domain is set to Dathorn's DNS so it is responsible for zone, not Godaddy. Thus whenewer you want some change it must be done on Dathorn.

If you want Godaddy to do the job then you must set dns zone at GoDaddy DNS server and set it to be master.

Comment

• Backup Bob
      • May 2004

Originally posted by Pedja
      It seems primary DNS for your domain is set to Dathorn's DNS so it is responsible for zone, not Godaddy. Thus whenewer you want some change it must be done on Dathorn.

If you want Godaddy to do the job then you must set dns zone at GoDaddy DNS server and set it to be master.
      So, Why doesn't GoDaddy know about this?

I thought it was something like that. The notion of having to change MX records and CNamess is a bit daunting for a run-of-the-mill customer but that is what they are asking of their customers.

Their Website option asks to set up a mailbox but it does not ask anyone to set up a DNS zone. I think they have a problem on their end.

True to form, Dathorn is taking care of this promptly, modifying the necessary records.
      Last edited by Backup Bob; 05-16-2004, 01:49 AM.

Comment

• Backup Bob
        • May 2004

GoDaddy e-mail

Many thanks!

I have fired off a note to GoDaddy advising them that their process is simply too cumbersome and misleading. It should not take a week to "verify an MX record", especially when that record has to be changed somewhere else.

When I called I got a wonderful tutorial about how MX records work. Trouble is, the tech could not understand how a casual user following instructions on their Website might possible have a problem. There is no mention in their procedures of having your Web hosting company alter MX records and CNames. I guess a number of techie types don't understand how to deal with people who are not living in their particular world.

I am a technical type but not fully up on DNS issues. I cannot imagine what a total neophyte would go through. At NameSecure you simply pay for e-mail and they take care of everything, even if you are hosting elsewhere.

The trouble with NameSecure is that they are now part of VeriSign. After the SiteFinder debacle a while back I don't care to deal with VeriSign if I can help it. Worse, NameSecure is now sporting a very commercial look instead of a professional look and their registry prices have gone rapidly upward.

GoDaddy is only $8.75 a year and NameSecure is now $15 a year. That's why I chose to push GoDaddy on my own site, PlanetEagle.Net, instead of putting money into NameSecure's pocket by sending them customers. I get only a buck a year per registration but it does add up after a while.

Typical of Dathorn, the problem was corrected very promptly and the account is now working.

Comment

• Dan
          • Mar 2004

Why use godaddy's email option at all when you have full control over email at dathorn already?

That's where your complexity has come in I would say. All you want is to register a domain with godaddy and set the nameservers to dathorns and voila!

Comment

• Backup Bob
            • May 2004

Originally posted by Dan
            Why use godaddy's email option at all when you have full control over email at dathorn already?

That's where your complexity has come in I would say. All you want is to register a domain with godaddy and set the nameservers to dathorns and voila!
            You are SO correct. I am knocking myself over the head now for trying to keep it simple.

The customer wanted Webmail. GoDaddy provides a nice system that is easy to use, and that I thought would not involve my efforts. I have done the same at NameSecure many times; they simply take care of the DNS problem and everything works.

GoDaddy has sent me a number of tutorials on MX records and the like. They refuse to believe this is a problem. So, how many hosting companies let you access their MX records? That could become problematic, couldn't it?

To make matters more fun, now that the MX records are set up I can't access their Webmail. Grrrrr!

Comment

• furpcom
              • Jun 2004

Does any one know the CNAME entries I need to make at Godaddy to get my site on cpanel37 connected to my domain? I can't just set my nameservers to Dathorn's because they have disabled ALL email for the domain because some spammer spoofed my domain and a ton of failed mail messages were coming back.

Hope a spammer never spoofs your domain. Nothing you can do to protect yourself and a real pain in the ass.

Comment

• ChrisTech
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by furpcom
                Does any one know the CNAME entries I need to make at Godaddy to get my site on cpanel37 connected to my domain? I can't just set my nameservers to Dathorn's because they have disabled ALL email for the domain because some spammer spoofed my domain and a ton of failed mail messages were coming back.

Hope a spammer never spoofs your domain. Nothing you can do to protect yourself and a real pain in the ass.
                Have you tried calling their toll free number or emailing support about it?
                Hosting at Dathorn since March 2003!

My Interwebs speed on Charter Cable!

Comment

• djn
                  • Mar 2004

The same happened to one of my customers. After some trying I gave up on Godaddy's nameservers and opened a free account on www.xname.org. If this can help you here is a copy of the DNS zone file (auroraviaggi.com is the domain, the website is on cpanel17, the mailboxes are at Godaddy):

$TTL 86400 ; Default TTL
                  auroraviaggi.com. IN SOA ns0.xname.org. dejan.kozina.com. (
                  2005060601 ; serial
                  10800 ; Refresh period
                  3600 ; Retry interval
                  604800 ; Expire time
                  10800 ; Negative caching TTL
                  )

$ORIGIN auroraviaggi.com.
                  IN NS ns0.xname.org.
                  IN NS ns1.xname.org.
                  IN MX 0 smtp.secureserver.net.
                  IN MX 20 mailstore1.secureserver.net.
                  auroraviaggi.com. IN A 69.41.233.33
                  www IN A 69.41.233.33
                  ftp IN CNAME www
                  mail IN CNAME pop.secureserver.net.
                  email IN CNAME email.secureserver.net.

Hope this helps

djn

Comment

• furpcom
                    • Jun 2004

Thanks djn,

This info gives me some clues. I am a bit nervous about using a free DNS server, but here a lot of people do so maybe it will be ok.

Thanks again,

Walter

Comment

• djn
                      • Mar 2004

I've been using them for 2 years now without any problem. The only (very minor) annoyance is that once you change something in the zone you have to wait fot it to be updated on the server (ca. 1 hour) before you can edit it again.
                      If you want to test a commercial dns provider instead, www.zoneedit.com gives you the first 5 domains for free. I didn't test them, but their reputation is top-level...

djn

Comment

Working...