Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jim
    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by DomainDog
    The subject was not morality or philosophy. It was the appropriateness of allowing a customer to place on a Dathorn-hosted website very controversial content not forbidden by the AUP.

That is DIRECTLY relevant to every Dathorn customer.
    Yep, I addressed that in my reply, but later edited it out...I thought I was running off at the mouth

I agree, I think the discussion of how inflammatory material will effect business is a valid point and should be discussed. When the discussion started turning to whether the issue was moral or not, I'd prefer the mods to steer us back on topic instead of closing it. If the users continued, then by all means, close it.

I don't think the issue is simply "send in a ticket". I'd like to hear from resellers who host "Hot topic" sites. What are your experiences? Do you think a custom TOS is in order etc.

Personally, if of course Andrew doesn't have an explicit objection, I would allow it, with a stipulation. I'd tell the customer that the minute it effects YOUR business negatively, he runs the risk of having his site yanked. This way you have some wiggle room if it turns out its more problem than its worth.

Comment

• DomainDog
      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Jim
      Yep, I addressed that in my reply, but later edited it out...I thought I was running off at the mouth

I agree, I think the discussion of how inflammatory material will effect business is a valid point and should be discussed. When the discussion started turning to whether the issue was moral or not, I'd prefer the mods to steer us back on topic instead of closing it. If the users continued, then by all means, close it.

I don't think the issue is simply "send in a ticket". I'd like to hear from resellers who host "Hot topic" sites. What are your experiences? Do you think a custom TOS is in order etc.

Personally, if of course Andrew doesn't have an explicit objection, I would allow it, with a stipulation. I'd tell the customer that the minute it effects YOUR business negatively, he runs the risk of having his site yanked. This way you have some wiggle room if it turns out its more problem than its worth.
      Well said Jim, and perfectly stated except for one small point.....

The original question was, "Would this video, in your opinion be appropriate to allow?" Some people objected on moral grounds, a perfectly acceptable argument, which is 100% appropriate and 100% on topic.

DomainDog

PS- Henceforth, please allow your "mouth to run", LOL!
      ** Custom Graphics **
      ** FLASH Animations **
      ** Specialty Domains **
      ** Website Design **

Comment

• chrisd
        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Jim
        I agree, I think the discussion of how inflammatory material will effect business is a valid point and should be discussed.
        Indeed. And that's where I was going with the other thread.

Some of you older folks may recall that I was sued for libel (and subsequently had it dismissed) last year. I thought I could add some value to a discussion not about a specific video or incident, but general exposures to risk - whether legitimate or not.

But my point is being lost here - when in Rome, I really don't mind doing as the Romans do. If we're all clear on the rules of the road we'd be in a much better position to judge whether participating is an effective use of time and energy.

BTW ... in my experience God has very little to do with forum moderation - he can be a lot more forgiving than the user-base.

Comment

• Buddha
          • Mar 2004

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. - moderator's mantra
          "Whatcha mean I shouldn't be rude to my clients?! If you want polite then there will be a substantial fee increase." - Buddha

Comment

• AndrewT
            Administrator
            • Mar 2004

I'd like to say no, we wouldn't allow anything like this. BUT, that is not the case, as someone else brought up, things like this are perfectly fine to host so long that it doesn't negatively impact our business.

Comment

• DomainDog
              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by AndrewT
              I'd like to say no, we wouldn't allow anything like this. BUT, that is not the case, as someone else brought up, things like this are perfectly fine to host so long that it doesn't negatively impact our business.
              Spoken (as always), like a gentleman, and a smart, successful entrepreneur !

Now... I have a very troubling moral choice to make..... :-(
              ** Custom Graphics **
              ** FLASH Animations **
              ** Specialty Domains **
              ** Website Design **

Comment

• -Oz-
                • Mar 2004

I am back.

Glad to see I took heat but did not burn in hell. I aplogize if anyone was offended. The question itself was correct and proper the issue at hand was that the answer multiple times was ask Andrew and then it progressed into moral integrity and things of that sort. Yes, this is an off-topic forum so I probably should have let it run.

I will take this as a lesson learned, would hate to see you go chrisD
                Dan Blomberg

Comment

• Frank Hagan
                  • Mar 2004

The thread actually got me thinking, and I've changed my AUP to prohibit the graphic depiction of violence.

Graphic images of violence against individuals recently living or alive, such as, but not limited to, executions, torture, mayhem, rape, molestation or other bodily harm are not allowed. Text or non-graphic descriptions that, in our sole judgment, are intended to incite such actions, or to give pleasure or comfort to those committing such actions, are not allowed.

Comment

• chrisd
                    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by -Oz-
                    I will take this as a lesson learned
                    Just avoid the use of the OT word and call it what it is.

would hate to see you go chrisD
                    Nahhh ... I'll be around for a while. I've mellowed out a bit (recovered from the flu), and will chalk up the other moderator's comments to youthful exuberance, and mine to medication.

Comment

• DomainDog
                      • Mar 2004

Guys, this is more like the Dathorn Forum I've come to know and love!

Originally posted by -Oz-
                      I aplogize if anyone was offended. The question itself was correct and proper the issue at hand was that the answer multiple times was ask Andrew and then it progressed into moral integrity and things of that sort. Yes, this is an off-topic forum so I probably should have let it run.
                      Oz, it take a lot more of a man to admit a mistake than to stand by an erroneous position. You have restored my faith, and I salute you!

Originally posted by Frank Hagan
                      The thread actually got me thinking, and I've changed my AUP to prohibit the graphic depiction of violence.
                      Spoil sport! (just kidding). Actually, not a bad idea, but I plan to handle it case by case.

Originally posted by chrisd
                      Just avoid the use of the OT word and call it what it is.
                      ... I'll be around for a while. I've mellowed out a bit (recovered from the flu), and will chalk up the other moderator's comments to youthful exuberance, and mine to medication.
                      Chris, I'm also glad you're feeling better, and DEFINITELY glad you are staying around! You would be sorely missed!
                      ** Custom Graphics **
                      ** FLASH Animations **
                      ** Specialty Domains **
                      ** Website Design **

Comment

• DomainDog
                        • Mar 2004

UPDATE ON ORIGINAL TOPIC:
                        I have decided against allowing the horrid video of Nick Berg's murder to be hosted. I have told the client that pics that are not as graphic are all that would be allowed. They opted to skip it altogether. This issue seems resolved, both internally as well as externally.
                        ** Custom Graphics **
                        ** FLASH Animations **
                        ** Specialty Domains **
                        ** Website Design **

Comment

Working...