Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jjmac
    • May 2004

FP Extensions problem

I know frontpage extensions are not supported by the admin, but I was wondering if any of you have had this problem.

I am on cpanel32 and I have a customer using frontpage extensions. On 5/11 a security patch was applied to the server I'm on and the extensions on his site suddenly stopped working. We tried uninstalling/reinstalling and still could not get it working. I don't know for a fact that the patch is what messed it up, i was just wondering if anyone else had that problem.

FYI the patch info in the Change Log is:

CRITICAL exim security update

add the ability to turn on mailtrap tracking in tweak settings

Thanks in advance for any help.
  • Jonathan
    • Mar 2004

If you tried to uninstall/reinstall the extentions,
    and still no works, I'd suggest putting in a trouble ticket for it.
    "How can someone be so distracted yet so focused?"
    - C

Comment

• jjmac
      • May 2004

I did, but Andrew said aside from uninstalling and reinstalling, FrontPage wasn't really supported. (Can you blame him?)

I don't normally allow FrontPage extensions but I made an exception. Now I'm regretting it

Comment

• jjmac
        • May 2004

I did a little research on the problem. The error I get is "Server error: FrontPage security violation."

Microsoft has a knowledgebase article about it:

Microsoft support is here to help you with Microsoft products. Find how-to articles, videos, and training for Microsoft Copilot, Microsoft 365, Windows, Surface, and more.

Basically it says the problem is caused by an extra space in the passwd file. Obvioulsy there's nothing I can do about that but is it possible that someone could verify that for me?

Since I have never gotten FP ext to work before a domain is propagated, I registered a new domain just to test a clean setup. I could not get a brand new account to work with it. Same error.

Anybody know anything about this? Anyone able to help me?

Thanks

Comment

• Dan
          • Mar 2004

I searched cpanels forums for this topic and the only threads that came up were from 2003. Here is one that seemed to fix the problem and there is also a link to another post on it as well in the thread.

The problem isn't something that you yourself can fix though, you'd have to submit a trouble ticket and see if they'd take care of it for you.

Comment

• jjmac
            • May 2004

Thanks for your help.

The problem is, I already did submit a trouble ticket, and I was informed that frontpage extensions are not supported by the admin.

The solution you linked to may or may not fix it, but as you said there's not much I can do about it.

:/

I would be more than happy to research the problem and find the solution if it was something that was in my account that I had control over. But since every solution I've found has to be applied by an admin, and the admin don't help out with frontpage extensions, then I guess I'm up a creek.

The only gripe I really have is that my customer is really the one who's up a creek. He only knows how to work in FrontPage. Now he's paying (not for long I assume) for a page he can't update. I normally can tell my customers that I can fix any problem they're having -- which is normally the case. I just hate having to tell people "Sorry, I broke your FrontPage Extensions, and I'm not going to fix them." Then I get yelled at yadda yadda ya and it makes me want to yell at someone -- but I'm not going to do that.

Anyone have recommendations for a host where fp ext are supported? Not that he'll take my advice but its just the gesture that counts.

Thanks for your help anyway.
            Last edited by jjmac; 05-18-2004, 12:36 PM.

Comment

• Dan
              • Mar 2004

Well...it seems to be a problem with subwebs, you could suggest that he stay away from subwebs as they've been known to cause problems.

PS. You didn't break anything, his web is just fine it just won't upload to that particular server.

Comment

• jjmac
                • May 2004

Yeah, I know I didn't break anything specifically, but the service I'm offering to him was working fine, and now it's not. He didn't break it, and since I am the person who sold him the service, I am the one who has to take responsibility for it not working.

But like I said, thanks for your help

Comment

• ThomasW
                  • Mar 2004

This whole FP Extension problem is a pain, no question there.
                  Instead of loafing last night on the couch like I so justly deserved I was fixing FP forms for clients that were no longer working.

Granted FP has faults, but FP2003 is actually quite nice.

If your client is using FP2003 he can use the built in FTP program to transfer the updates to the server...hopefully that can be a solution until this gets sorted out.
                  "The word genius isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein!" ... Joe Theisman

Comment

• jjmac
                    • May 2004

Thanks..

I know fp has ftp built in, but since I loathe frontpage I shot him over a trial of Homesite. He likes it, it has a lot of the same features frontpage has so its going over pretty well for the momment.

Hopefully he will be able to use HomeSite and rid me of this FP stench

Thanks for all your input guys

PS--looking on the bright side of things, since whatever happened screwed up frontpage extensions for all sites I have including new ones, I can now honestly tell my customers I do not have FrontPage capabilities and just dump the whole idea out the window (like i wanted to do in the first place)

Comment

• Jack
                      • Jun 2004

Im also on cpanel32 and have the same problem!

Comment

• lovelie
                        • Mar 2004

same server, same problem here. Andrew told me 2-3 weeks ago it would likely be fixed in a few days. of course, it doesn't matter any more since all of my clients using FP have given up waiting and left.
                        *shrug* never liked FP anyway.
                        yay! pink!
                        kali's web shoppe

Comment

• jjmac
                          • May 2004

Ahh that sucks...

At least yours just left, mine wanted their money back :/

Comment

• -Oz-
                            • Mar 2004

I'd suggest both of you submit trouble tickets (again if neccesary).
                            Dan Blomberg

Comment

• jjmac
                              • May 2004

I think it would just be easier not to accept any new frontpage users since I don't have any anymore. Andrew made it clear to me that they don't support frontpage extensions.

Comment

Working...