Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • huh?
    • Apr 2004

Nameservers & general confusion...

Apparently I've managed to confuse myself regarding custom nameservers.

Following the excellent instructions (creating custom dns with GoDaddy) I set up the custom dns for SITE-A, which will be something like a reseller.

Next, I set up a couple of separate domains, which are unrelated to SITE-A, using the non-custom dns provided in the "welcome" email. One of these sites is going to be just a private email exchange, I'll refer to this site as SITE-B.

I next went to set up email for SITE-B in the cpanel. I notice that it is already set and locked with the SITE-A's domain (email@site-a.com). Next I go to upload an index.html page to SITE-B and find that it is pointed to SITE-A's file directory.

Being a newb at this stuff it seems clear that I'm not really understanding the ramifications of setting a custom nameserver. It seemed to me, from reading, that setting up a custom dns only serves to reflect that domain in whois, and should only affect sites that are pointed directly to that domain.

So, before I go and eradicate the custom dns entry in GoDaddy, and attempt to revert to the generic dns, I thought it might be wisest to try to get my head straight on this dns stuff. Could someone help clarify the relationship between custom dns and how it might affect all the misc domains I intend to set up in my account?
  • Buddha
    • Mar 2004

Couple of questions. Have you waited 72 hours for the domains to propregate? Are these sites on seperate domains? Or are these subdomains?
    "Whatcha mean I shouldn't be rude to my clients?! If you want polite then there will be a substantial fee increase." - Buddha

Comment

• huh?
      • Apr 2004

The domains resolve properly (ie: they show standard, virgin directories in a browser). Separate domains, not subdomains, and not intended to point to anywhere but their own unique address.

Comment

• Buddha
        • Mar 2004

You created a package or two in WHM for the domains? Then created seperate new accounts for each domain in WHM? You didn't park domain A on domain B did you? Wierd.

You might just want to start over?
        "Whatcha mean I shouldn't be rude to my clients?! If you want polite then there will be a substantial fee increase." - Buddha

Comment

• huh?
          • Apr 2004

Yes, that's correct.

Is my understanding right, then, that creating a custom dns nameserver shouldn't affect these other domains?

Comment

• Buddha
            • Mar 2004

If you set the domains up in seperate accounts then one should not affect the other. The custom NS should only effect the that one domain.

try...

Please contact this domain's administrator as their DNS Made Easy services have expired.
            Last edited by Buddha; 05-17-2004, 06:17 PM.

Comment

• Dan
              • Mar 2004

You didn't, by change, give the two domains the same account name did you? That would cause something like this to happen.

Comment

• Buddha
                • Mar 2004

Oh Dan you may have something there. If you did, better submit a trouble ticket (could cause some cpanel issues) and I also recommend begging for forgiveness. Not suppose to change account names because of just that problem.

Comment

• Dan
                  • Mar 2004

If that is what happened he should be able to delete the domain and recreate it without any trouble. Just no renaming...

Comment

• huh?
                    • Apr 2004

Yup. That is what I done. I don't know how I done it but I done it. After deleting the account and re-creating it, it becomes clear that I either somehow created two accounts with the same name, or was logging in to both with the same name. (hmmm- there's one born every minute).

Thanks guys. I really appreciate your help.

Comment

• Buddha
                      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Dan
                      If that is what happened he should be able to delete the domain and recreate it without any trouble. Just no renaming...
                      How about if the name collided with another resellers account? It's a one in a million thing I guess?

Comment

• huh?
                        • Apr 2004

That minor mystery was sorted out, but it appears that it's not the end of the newb's problems. He's now trying to figure out why test emails sent to SITE-B's account are being transitted through SITE-A. (Thought it might be some kind of propagation thing, but after almost 24 hours it doesn't look like it).

Comment

• Dan
                          • Mar 2004

How about if the name collided with another resellers account? It's a one in a million thing I guess?
                          I don't think I want to find out what happens then but I'd hope they've put checks in for WHM usernames

test emails sent to SITE-B's account are being transitted through SITE-A
                          Now that seems pretty odd. Let's see if we have this straight...
                          Site A was created originally.
                          Site B was then created but subsequently deleted and recreated with a different user name.
                          Now email sent to Site B goes to Site A then is forwarded to Site B?

Firstly, propagation can take up to 72 hours. Generally with a brand new domain though that's seldom the case.

From what you've said previously I assume you've created each domain separately in WHM and haven't parked one on the other so my guess is that the deletion of Site B's first incarnation wasn't complete and to fix that you'll need to submit a trouble ticket.

Comment

Working...