X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Altheon
    • Mar 2004

Server Logs

Hello,

I have this great log analyzer that can automatically connect to a directory and download the files. I was wondering if there was any way to have our log files written to a folder in a directory that we can access via FTP.

I know there is an option to generate log files in Cpanel but I was looking for something that did not require manual intervention.

Has anyone set up a cron job to do this or is there another way?

Regards,

Altheon
  • Pedja
    • Mar 2004

You may access logs via SSH, but I do not know iif it may be automated.

However, in Cpanel / FTP Account Maintenance you will find info about predefined ftp accounts that allow you to access log files directly. One I tried it worked, now it does not (reports invalid username/password). Dathorn stuff probably may fix it.

Comment

• KyleC
      • Mar 2004

you could do it with a cron job, but i dont know how... there was a cron script in the old forums that would dump the file at the end of each month in to a directory.
      -Kyle

Comment

• Thyme
        • Mar 2004

You may be able to automate it by tunneling through SSH. I don't know of any existing solutions to that, but you might be able to alter the WinSCP code if you're a programmer.
        "I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O, Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." --Voltaire

Comment

• Buddha
          • Mar 2004

Kylec you mean my email log cron thingy?

Code:
          echo -e "From: [email]buddha@mydomain.com[/email]\nSubject: ACCESS LOG\n\nUUENCODED LOG FILE ARCHIVE\n\n" > /home/mydomain/log.txt
          gzip -cf /usr/local/apache/domlogs/mydomain.com | uuencode mydomain_com.gz >> /home/mydomain/log.txt
          /usr/sbin/sendmail -f [email]buddha@mydomain.com[/email] [email]buddha@mydomain.com[/email] < /home/mydomain/log.txt
          rm /home/mydomain/log.txt
          "Whatcha mean I shouldn't be rude to my clients?! If you want polite then there will be a substantial fee increase." - Buddha

Comment

• piku
            • Mar 2004

i was about to post the same buddha ...good find.
            my signature was deleted. i miss my signature-filled-with-helpful-dathorn-links *sniff*sniff*

Comment

• cyberax
              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Buddha
              Kylec you mean my email log cron thingy?
              Hey can someone post that in the FAQ's forum. Very usefull little bit of information that

Thanks guys.

Cheers

Comment

• Pedja
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by KyleC
                you could do it with a cron job, but i dont know how... there was a cron script in the old forums that would dump the file at the end of each month in to a directory.
                cpanel already has that feature.

Stats, Raw Log manager. Ther is checkbox which will instruct cpanel to make copies of log files in home directory at the end of the month.

Comment

• cyberax
                  • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Pedja

Stats, Raw Log manager. Ther is checkbox which will instruct cpanel to make copies of log files in home directory at the end of the month.
                  Yes, but as far as I know, it can't mail that log file to you.
                  That's what makes this script so nice and usefull. It's just a pain going and fetching logs every month!

Cheers

Comment

• Buddha
                    • Mar 2004

I don't know if the cpanel thing works. However, I can tell you this the log files (at least on cp33) are usually cleared more than once at the end of the month. Vary annoying. Causes fragmentation. One month, I had 6 fragments spread over three days. I know I lost data that month and it just annoyed the hell out of me. I move my own site to a plesk server because of this fragmentation a while ago.
                    "Whatcha mean I shouldn't be rude to my clients?! If you want polite then there will be a substantial fee increase." - Buddha

Comment

• Pedja
                      • Mar 2004

I do agree Dathorn servers do everything possible to make hard job for us to do web statistics.

Comment

• Buddha
                        • Mar 2004

I do agree Dathorn servers do everything possible to make hard job for us to do web statistics.
                        I never said that, I'm a big fan of Dathorn. If anything it's cPanel's fault, not Dathorns. If Andrew ever gets any Plesk servers ( or any with deciet logging ) I'ld bring my own site back here in an instant. Andrew provides the best service I've every seen.

Comment

• Pedja
                          • Mar 2004

I do agree about good service.

Comment

• powvex
                            • Mar 2004

Fragmentation?...

buddha; can you explain more about this fragmentation? whats wrong with it?

Comment

• Buddha
                              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by powvex
                              buddha; can you explain more about this fragmentation? whats wrong with it?
                              The log files are being reset more than once at the end of the month. This month it happen twice that I know of? On the 31st of March and 1st of April. This means I have a couple piece to stick together for the March log file. Not really bad this month. But I lose data every time this fragmentation happens.

I did try the cPanel Log Manager once. I got a 8kb log file (didn't catch the first one - I guess), the site I have here has a log file well over 25MB's. I'm lossing data doing it my way but it's not that bad!

If anyone knows if the Log Manager has been fixed, I'll give it another try?

Comment

Working...