Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DomainDog
    • Mar 2004

Urchin Stats??

Within Cpanel, I see this thing called "Urchin Stats". I assume it's similar to AWStats, but it appears to be non-functional.

Does anyone know what this is, and if it works, and if so, how to make it do so?

Thanks!
    DomainDog
    ** Custom Graphics **
    ** FLASH Animations **
    ** Specialty Domains **
    ** Website Design **
  • Jonathan
    • Mar 2004

I do not believe Dathorn uses/allowes Urchin stats...
    I may be wrong, but this is what I *vaguely* remember
    from the old forums, as it seemed a topic for new customers...
    "How can someone be so distracted yet so focused?"
    - C

Comment

• DomainDog
      • Mar 2004

Well, it shows up as an option in the Cpanel page that lists FTP Stats options.

It would be nice to know there is an alternative to AW stats- not because AWStats is bad, but because it only updates once per day, and I can't seem to figure out how to do a self-install of the script so I can make it update whenever I want.

Being able to offer clients the option of getting stats more than once per day would be a nice addition!
      ** Custom Graphics **
      ** FLASH Animations **
      ** Specialty Domains **
      ** Website Design **

Comment

• Buddha
        • Mar 2004

If you want to run logs whenever you want, you'll need to do it off the server. Logs are only to be run between 1 and 4 AM if I remember correctly. You can run AwStat on your own computer, you'll need to install Perl. I do this for the client I have here.
        "Whatcha mean I shouldn't be rude to my clients?! If you want polite then there will be a substantial fee increase." - Buddha

Comment

• DomainDog
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Buddha
          If you want to run logs whenever you want, you'll need to do it off the server. Logs are only to be run between 1 and 4 AM if I remember correctly. You can run AwStat on your own computer, you'll need to install Perl. I do this for the client I have here.
          An interesting thought, oh mighty Buddha!

Since (as I understand it) a stats program simply parses the raw logs into some semblence of understandable order, so it seems like there MUST be applications that can do this with a downloaded log.

Unless I'm missing something, it seems like downloading the raw logs take about 1 or 2 minutes, then it could be processed offline!

Anybody know of an app that will do the processing?
          ** Custom Graphics **
          ** FLASH Animations **
          ** Specialty Domains **
          ** Website Design **

Comment

• chrisd
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by DomainDog
            Anybody know of an app that will do the processing?
            For Win32, I've been using the webalizer port at www.medasys-lille.com/webalizer/

It's not pretty but it works for me - when I'm away from my BSD boxes.

Comment

• Buddha
              • Mar 2004

Having done this a while for a client, I would suggest charging the client a huffty fee for this service. May take a couple of minutes to download the log but it takes a few hours to run the logs when they get big. Can be a real pain in the CPU.

Log Analysis at Freshmeat
              "Whatcha mean I shouldn't be rude to my clients?! If you want polite then there will be a substantial fee increase." - Buddha

Comment

• shalom_m
                • Mar 2004

I do this for my clients too.
                Some of my clients want/need/request/demand country stats too.
                So after I download the logfile, I run it through a nice little program called LookupIP.exe first. Then I run the replaced results through Weblogexpert for final graphic report.

You can download Weblogexpert from http://www.weblogexpert.com/ and lookupIP.exe from http://www.downlinx.com/proghtml/67/6746.htm or about a dozen other places on the net, its freeware.

Some clients now do it by themselves with minimal instructions given, others can never get it right so I mail them the stats once a month in a wordfile as part of the service.

Comment

• Pedja
                  • Mar 2004

I use Funnel Web Analyzer. Free version can ftp download log, lookup IP addresses and generate fine reports. The only prob is how to allow user to ftp download logs... I do not allow them full FTP access to their account space, just public_html

Comment

Working...