Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • randynov
    • Apr 2004

spam fighting

What are your plans for SPF, New SPF, and Domain Keys?
  • Jonathan
    • Mar 2004

SPF? New SPF?? Domain Keys???

*confused*

I simply fight spam by threatening users with fees
    of $2,500 or more in my TOS; seems to be working, IMO
    "How can someone be so distracted yet so focused?"
    - C

Comment

• chrisd
      • Mar 2004

IMO, it ain't gonna happen. More hype than substance.

Used to come up in NANAE (with attention to Vernon Schryver's comments) quite reguarly - though I think it was often the same sock-puppets trying to bring it to the forefront.

Comment

• mdmcginn
        • Mar 2004

I heard that October 1 was a goal for setting up SPF, and major players are checking for it. I went to http://spf.pobox.com/ but how do I suggest I fill out the wizard form? What are the Dathorn defaults for this kind of information?

When I ran the wizard, this what I got, including instructions (assuming yellowbiggie.net is my ISP) :
        If you run BIND
        Paste this into your zone file:

mydomain.org. IN TXT "v=spf1 a mx ptr include:yellowbiggie.net -all"

When a mail server sends a bounce message, it uses a null MAIL FROM: <>, and a HELO address that's supposed to be its own name. SPF will still operate, but in "degraded mode" by using the HELO domain name instead. Because this wizard can't tell which name your mail server uses in its HELO command, it lists all possible names, so there may be multiple lines shown below. If you know which hostname your mail server uses in its HELO command, you should pick out the appropriate entries and ignore the rest.

So this should also appear in DNS. You may or may not be in charge of the DNS for these entries; if you are, add them.

69-56-176-98.theplanet.com. IN TXT "v=spf1 a -all"

Now I would have to put this info in the zone file and DNS. Good idea? Easy? Trouble ticket required?
        Last edited by mdmcginn; 10-25-2004, 11:27 AM.

Comment

• sdjl
          • Mar 2004

This is something for Andrew to decide on really.
          We have no control over whether SPF is implemented or not.

David
          -----
          Do you fear the obsolescence of the metanarrative apparatus of legitimation?

Comment

• mdmcginn
            • Mar 2004

Oh okay, I think I could put the SPF record in the zone template in WHM. But I can't change the DNS myself,

Comment

• sdjl
              • Mar 2004

I should imagine it would be a server wide change that would be necessary, not something for us as individual resellers to do.

David
              -----
              Do you fear the obsolescence of the metanarrative apparatus of legitimation?

Comment

• mdmcginn
                • Mar 2004

I think you're right. This should be the correct DNS record, and it's for an IP, not for a domain, so only Andrew can change it:

69-56-176-98.theplanet.com. IN TXT "v=spf1 a -all"

Comment

• globalstorm
                  • May 2004

Anything further as to whether Dathorn is considering using SPF? It appears to be gathering steam as a new "standard". Here is a site that tracks registrars and DNS providers thatsupport SPF. http://www.telefonica.net/web/news/spf/

Cheers
                  Kirby

Comment

• Dan
                    • Mar 2004

SPF is something you can add to your own zone records for your DNS.

I am not sure where MDM came up with the line in question there but the typical line in your DNS would be:

Code:
                    <domain.com> IN TXT "v=spf1 a -all"
                    Here is the explanation:
                    v=spf1 = This identifies the TXT record as an SPF string.
                    a = <domain.com>'s IP address is xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx That server is allowed to send mail from <domain.com>
                    -all = No other servers are allowed to send mail from <domain.com>.
                    This is a good default for sites particularly concerned about forgery.
                    If you are forced to send email out through your ISP's server then you would have:

Code:
                    <domain.com> IN TXT "v=spf1 a include:<isp.com> ~all"
                    Which would give the additional functionality of:

Any server allowed to send mail from <isp.com> is also allowed to send mail from <domain.com>
                    To use the wizard simply put your domain name in and nothing more.

Hope that helps

Comment

• BradK
                      • Jul 2005

Verizon whitelist wands SPF records

My client started getting bounced, sending sales receipt emails to verizon.net customers. Verizon, when they notified me, invited me to submit to their whitelist process which asked if the sender had SPF records.

I found how to add an SPF template for newly created domains. How to I go back and change my existing domains that spoofers are using to trash Europe?

Comment

• AndrewT
                        Administrator
                        • Mar 2004

Please go ahead and submit a trouble ticket with the bounce message that you are receiving.

Comment

Working...