Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Amon
    • May 2004

Godaddy

I forgetten to renew some domains. I have three expired domain( expired before 15 days) but only one domain redemption period status others registrarlock status in Godaddy .
    And Godaddy want $80.- for one domain in redemption status. I asked why only this domain in redemption status . But they aren't answered me.
    A quote from Godaddy:

If you wish to recover the domain from the registry redemption period and
    pay the $80 registry fee, please let us know and we will gladly process
    the order and initiate the redemption process.
    To redeem the domain, please respond and indicate which phone number and
    the best time to reach you on this matter and we will have a customer
    support representative contact you. You may also contact us at
    480-505-8877 (24/7) to begin the redemption process.

You will need to renew the domain on a valid credit card in the name of
    the person listed on the customer account that the domain is managed in.
    Please have the following information available:

1. The full name as it appears on the card (the name on the credit card
    must be the same as the name listed on your customer account)

2. The credit card number

3. The credit card type

4. The expiration date of the card

5. The last 3 digits of the security verification code usually found on
    the back of the card, or with AMEX the 4 digit security code above the
    credit card number on the front of the card.
  • KyleC
    • Mar 2004

well if its in their contract, all you can do is be mad about it.

if you can wait a few weeks backorder it from them, they only charge like 19$ for that.
    -Kyle

Comment

• Eugenometica
      • Jun 2004

personal i would recommend using Hostway.com as a registrar, they have great services and support...they also put 120% into help the customer with whatever concerns they have, and i have tried atleast to this date about4 or 5 different registrars with different prices and services, this one tops it all.

just figured id maybe give yo ua different option as far as registrars go, you may also want to contact them too and see if you can possibley transfer the domains from godaddy in the coming days (only 6.95$) before they expire or go into redemption.

goodluck.

Comment

• Frank Hagan
        • Mar 2004

What is Hostway's policy on expired domain names?

This is one of those things that is very hard to find about a registrar. How do they handle transfers? How much do they charge for you to transfer your name from them? How much do they charge to recover an expired domain name during the suspension period? Most of them don't put this info out there.

I can't find any information on Hostway's site about these things. They don't have a TOS for domain names that I can find easily. For their web hosting, they do have a $20 charge to reinstate an expired hosting account, and a $99 charge if they have to restore data to it. So I suspect they also charge for redeeming expired domains.

Hostway is not an accredited registrar, so they are a reseller for one of the accredited registrars, and may just pass through the accredited registrar's fee for recovering an expired domain name. Or they could add their own fee on top of the accredited registrar's fee. I suspect they resell for enom or DirectI, since they are selling domain names at $6.95.

DirectI does say that redeeming a domain name is a manual and expensive process. But I can't find the price anywhere right now ... I did see it earlier in signing up with them, and I think it was in the $75 to $80 range.

Comment

• DomainDog
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Frank Hagan
          Hostway is not an accredited registrar, so they are a reseller for one of the accredited registrars, and may just pass through the accredited registrar's fee for recovering an expired domain name. Or they could add their own fee on top of the accredited registrar's fee. I suspect they resell for enom or DirectI, since they are selling domain names at $6.95.
          I think it's rare that a reseller can do a better job than the actual registrar. Because all their domains are regged at Network Solutions, it looks like Hostway might be an NSI reseller. I hope people making recommendations are not employees or owners of Hostway using these forums for self-advertising.

Also- most registrars are charging a high fee for redeeming a domain after expiration. It's a drag, but it seems to be the way of things. Generally, GoDaddy is a pretty good registrar, IMO. I have a few hundred domains there, and have not had one problem.

I have only ONE domain held hostage at NSI, and I do not like them at all.
          ** Custom Graphics **
          ** FLASH Animations **
          ** Specialty Domains **
          ** Website Design **

Comment

• Eugenometica
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by DomainDog
            I think it's rare that a reseller can do a better job than the actual registrar. Because all their domains are regged at Network Solutions, it looks like Hostway might be an NSI reseller. I hope people making recommendations are not employees or owners of Hostway using these forums for self-advertising.

Also- most registrars are charging a high fee for redeeming a domain after expiration. It's a drag, but it seems to be the way of things. Generally, GoDaddy is a pretty good registrar, IMO. I have a few hundred domains there, and have not had one problem.

I have only ONE domain held hostage at NSI, and I do not like them at all.

No not at all! sorry i know it sounded like that but iam not.
            I was just expressing my likeness for them and so others may be able to get use out of it.

My experience with godaddy wasnt that great, but primarily due to the hosting company i was with at the time of registration, the hosting company gave out "free" domains with sign up and godaddy was where they would obtain the actual name from and you could not access it regardless, godaddy or the hosting company wouldnt disclose that info, so basically you were renting the domains lol.

But as far as redemption goes, i was very lucky at one point, i got the AuthCode for the domain that was in that period and gave it to a different registrar and they succesfully got it over to their server for a transfer, saved myself Hundreds! but that was by chance, maybe you could try that.
            Try to just casually ask about the authcode for your domain and try trasnferring or something so you can keep it.

Comment

• J-G
              • May 2004

Domain Reg'r's

I use an eNom reseller. $15 per, $12 after 10 names. I haven't had one expire, as my domains are on auto-renew, i.e. get charged to a CC. You can turn this off, too, if you wish. No fraud yet (knock on wood). The reg'r e-mail reminders that arrive a month before renewal are my "lo-tech" prompt to bill my customers for their year o' hosting.
              กกก Jess G. กกก

Comment

• Frank Hagan
                • Mar 2004

Once you get to about 10 domain names, it makes sense to sign up with eNom or Directi yourself. eNom is a bit pricey, as I think you need a large deposit to get a direct reseller account from them. Directi is easier; you can get $6.49 domain registrations when you buy whois cart and pre-pay $75 (their minimum deposit).

The problem I see with the enom accounts is that you often don't know the person who is above you in the chain.

Comment

• bhills
                  • Mar 2004

I've used godaddy with no problems. Even called them on the phone for support, and was always satisfied.

But I've also started using ev1servers.net because their charge is only $6.49 per year - and you don't have to sign up for any reseller account or pay a fee or anything. Very straight forward. Probably not as good of support. And no phone support, only email. But they've been fine. And of course I asked them the key question - do you charge a fee if I transfer a domain name away, and they do NOT.

Comment

• ChrisTech
                    • Mar 2004

Umm, was your contact email a working email address?

Godaddydoes email you approx 3 times before its due. I have all my domains set to auto renew via my stored cc #.
                    Hosting at Dathorn since March 2003!

My Interwebs speed on Charter Cable!

Comment

• -Oz-
                      • Mar 2004

Godaddy emailed me at 60days, 30days, 15days, 10days, 5days, 3days, 1day, then said it was renewed.
                      Dan Blomberg

Comment

Working...