Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pedja
    • Mar 2004

Huston, we have a problem, or, Sitting ducks, part II

It seems, planet.com has been marked as spam friendly host so all IP addresses belonging to it are blacklisted on RBL. This affects all dathorn servers too.

I've got complaints from my clients and they are yelling they want to send mail. I believe they are right but I cannot help. Already started loosing clients...
  • Jonathan
    • Mar 2004

*runs to bathroom*

Man...$#!!#@...
    This is C R A P P Y !!
    "How can someone be so distracted yet so focused?"
    - C

Comment

• -Oz-
      • Mar 2004

Yeah, this is bad.
      Dan Blomberg

Comment

• Buddha
        • Mar 2004

Strong arm tactics.
        "Whatcha mean I shouldn't be rude to my clients?! If you want polite then there will be a substantial fee increase." - Buddha

Comment

• Frank Hagan
          • Mar 2004

Where's this guy get off listing all the IP addresses at The Planet? Cpanel08 is listed only at his site: http://www.five-ten-sg.com, as far as I can tell. He claims he has no responsibility, but if he interferes with my business unnecessarily, he does have responsibility.

If some mail server is rejecting your email based on the above listing, ask them to either whitelist your address or to stop using this list. I don't know who is using blackholes.five-ten-sg.com to block email - it is my personal list used to protect my personal mail servers (and my clients). I make it public so that anyone who has mail rejected here can find out why it was rejected.
          That explanation doesn't cut it if he knows his overly-broad list is being used in that manner. He needs to stop publishing all IPs owned by a data center because of one particular IP sending out SPAM. He is not an official reporting organization, and if the data center doesn't cow-tow to him, they remain on his list? That's outrageous. He needs to stop publishing this list.

Spamhaus.org doesn't list Cpanel08 (69.56.171.52). I didn't check all the others, but I didn't get a hit at two of the spam reporting services that ISPs actually use, and are set up for that reason.

Comment

• AndrewT
            Administrator
            • Mar 2004

I already passed this info onto The Planet. Though resolving things like this is no easy matter.

Comment

• Jonathan
              • Mar 2004

cPanel31...

- C

Comment

• samsam
                • Mar 2004

That http://www.five-ten-sg.com guy is an idiot, as is the Blars.org guy, and the OpenRBL folks for linking into such tin-pot efforts.

Fancy people blocking HUGE IP address ranges like that, on the basis of someone from The Planet not returning a phone call once about a spam report for one of the tens of thousands of sites that might be hosted on their infrastructure.

That Blars guy even has the whole address range blocked of a major backone IP transport provider in Australia, who provides services to dozens of ISP's. Consequently, I'm also blocked from even visiting his site because he has used the same IP address list to restrict access to his web site. What a fool.

Even stupider are the third party email services that use these services as part of their anti-spam efforts.

I hate spam as much as, if not more than, the next guy. But this is not the way to go about stopping it. This has too much collateral damage.

Comment

• chrisd
                  • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Frank Hagan
                  Spamhaus.org doesn't list Cpanel08 (69.56.171.52).
                  Not yet, but getting closer .... SBL

Comment

• flypaper
                    • Dec 2004

cpanel15?

hey,

i didn't see a newer thread concerning this, but i tried to send out a message on cpanel15 to a umces.edu using horde and received this from error from five-ten-sg<?>.

anyone else experience this problem recently?

thanks, -k

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
                    recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

***@cbl.umces.edu
                    SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT TO:<***@cbl.umces.edu>:
                    host cbl.umces.edu [131.118.224.6]: 553 5.3.0 <***@cbl.umces.edu>... SPAM - See http://www.five-ten-sg.com/blackhole.php?69.56.130.200

Comment

• Frank Hagan
                      • Mar 2004

We need to lock these old threads ... I just about died when I read this until I realized it was old.

Comment

• Jonathan
                        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Frank Hagan
                        We need to lock these old threads ... I just about died when I read this until I realized it was old.
                        Locking old threads could, and very well would be,
                        counterproductive for something like this IMHO.

Best submit a TT on that one, Flypaper.
                        Not sure if Dathorn can do anything bout it though, since its ThePlanet's issue I think.
                        - C

Comment

• flypaper
                          • Dec 2004

Yeah, sorry if I wasn't clear -- The original messages were 6 months old and I didn't see anything newer concerning this. I wasn't sure if this was a dead issue that has come back or something ongoing as I've only had this account for about a month.

One question that may clarify things (for me at least) -- Is it umces.edu using five-ten's spam database instead of using spamhaus or similar or is it five-ten doing something with the traffic?

Submitting a ticket makes sense, but I was under the impression that this was something upstream of Dathorn, so I guess my question was more related to the end user and how they were working around this issue?

thanks,

Comment

• jaj478
                            • Apr 2004

Add another one

I just got a Mail Delivery Failed because the IP address is listed on a RBL.
                            SMTP error from remote mailer after initial connection:
                            host orngca-02.mgw.rr.com [24.93.40.211]: 550-austtx-mx-04.mgw.rr.com
                            550 ERROR: Mail Refused - 69.56.223.98 - See http://www.mail-abuse.org/cgi-bin/lookup?69.56.223.98

Their reasoning is listed on:

And it sites:
                            [MAPS #100574]
                            This is an RBL listing for multiple IPs for spam origin. The list of IPs added can be found in the notification below. This is a spam run in progress.
                            I sent notice on 02 Feb 2005 to ThePlanet.com's registered abuse address.
                            I have at this time received no response to my notice.
                            Below, please find a copy of the notice sent, samples of the spam, and any responses received.

Just sent in a TT. Anyone else having this problem?

Comment

Working...