Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • deadamc
    • Jun 2004

Just a few more questions...

This is my first time using a host that supports multiple domains so it is a little different for me. I believe I have a pretty good grasp on how this all works, but I just have a few questions on some things I'm not to sure about.

1. Am I supposed to set the name servers for all the domains I have to
    dns73.gzo.com & dns74.gzo.com, or does it work differently since I have more
    than one domain?

2. I read a little about setting up your own customer name servers. What is
    the purpose of this?

3. Within my WHM account, I'm assuming that I create a New Account for each site that I have, but I have a few questions about the options...
    -What is the purpose or should I check mark the following boxes... IP, CGI
    Access, & Shell Access.

4. What are the "Packages", and do I need to add one?

5. Lastly, What is the purpose of the option to "Request IP address"

Thanks for helping me out here, it's much appreciated.

Adam Murray
  • james
    • Mar 2004

Hi deadamc,

1. Yes that's correct. You can do it using your personal nameservers too (see 2).

2. Personal nameservers are used so when people do a whois search on your domains, they say ns1.yourmaindomain.com instead of dns73.gzo.com. It must makes things a little more transparent. You'll have to go to your domain registrar (where you registered your main domain) and look for a register nameserver option.

3. IP gives the account a dedicated IP. You'll have to buy these for a couple of dollars (can't remember how much). You only need these if you wish to isntall a SSL certificate for https:// sites. CGI gives the account permission to run cgi scripts. I normally tick this box. Don't enable shell access unless you really need it. It allows you to SSH to your account.

4. You need at least one package. I have one for each hosting plan that I host. Create the package before you create accounts. Then when you create a new account type in the domain name, username and password, then select the package down the bottom of the page. This will fill in all the other boxes for you.

5. Not quite sure about this - I've never used it. I'm assuming it's something to do with dediated IP's.

I hope this was helpful!

James

Comment

• deadamc
      • Jun 2004

Thanks a lot... that really helps... I have everything pretty much set up now, but I'm still not to sure what the purpose of the packages are.

Are the packages just something to help automatically set space and bandwith or is their another reason for having packages.

Thanks.

Comment

• -Oz-
        • Mar 2004

Yeah, thhey set the space and bandwidth and features so you can reuse those settings time and time again. You can also edit the packages so that all sites with that package change.
        Dan Blomberg

Comment

• djn
          • Mar 2004

Just a note: you need a dedicated IP adress to set up anonymous FTP too.

djn

Comment

Working...