Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KyleC
    • Mar 2004

Free WYSIWYG editors

anyone got a favorite free WYSIWYG editor?
    -Kyle

• retro
    • Jun 2004

Check out Nvu (http://www.nvu.com). It says it's the "Complete Web Authoring System for Desktop Linux", but there is a Windows Installer provided too. I've used it and although it runs slow on my machine at times, it has a lot of features.
    Denny Cave
    http://www.retrointeractive.com

Comment

• Frank Hagan
      • Mar 2004

The only free one that comes close to me liking it is Netscape Composer. Most people are surprised when they find out they have it included already on their machine if they have Netscape Navigator.

Its clunky, and I don't like how it uses   characters all over the place, but it is WYSIWYG.

My favorite is an "almost" WYSIWYG editor that has an internal preview mode that includes different screen resolutions, 1st Page 2000 by Evrsoft (http://www.evrsoft.com). It hasn't been officially supported for quite a while, but the author has made some noise that he might release a new version soon ... of course, that was back before Christmas!

Comment

• Jim
        • Mar 2004

I have tried more free wysiwyg editors than I care to think about..

What I've been recomending is Trellian webpage. http://www.trellian.com/webpage/index.html

It has some quirks, and I wouldn't recomend it for someone who could get by with Composer but it has met the criteria I was looking for.

1. Its very visual, suitable for people who don't know html and probably don't want to.
        2. Doesn't use a proprietary template system (you can open and edit html files)
        3. Free. It requires free registration by email and their is nag banner.

Comment

• felipe808
          • Mar 2004

Arachrophillia

The older flavor 4.0 of this works very well. It is simple and direct. He's got huge Java update 5.0 that seems to me to be more complicated. The story with this guy is pretty interesting and it is completely free with zero catches. Care Ware is what he calls it and he's an avid MSoft hater. Very bright guy, not that I agree with his postions but it's a nice program for a low level HTML player (me).

Comment

• Stelex
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Frank Hagan
            ... of course, that was back before Christmas!

Christmas, what year ?

Comment

• Frank Hagan
              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Stelex
              Christmas, what year ?
              Funny!

2003, but there was this long silence before then ... and since then!

At least I don't have to worry about the software becoming bloated with "feature-itis"

Comment

• shalom_m
                • Mar 2004

I just had a look at WebDwarf V2 from Virtual Mechanics.
                see: virtualmechanics.com/products/dwarf/info.html

Any comments?

Comment

• Dewi
                  • Jul 2004

I guess for straight up html, composer as as part of the mozilla suite (www.mozilla.org)

Comment

• mentordas
                    • Apr 2004

Wysiwyg editirs

I just can't help throwing my two bits in the ring for what it’s worth. I have used Netscape Composer for many years and to date have not found a better one. I use Prolix as my html editor and they both work together without a hitch.

Comment

• mentordas
                      • Apr 2004

wysiwyg editer

One more thing. If you decide to use Netscape Composer I would suggest that you take the version 4.7. the later versions are not as good.

Comment

• Ian
                        • Mar 2004

I think there is no true WYSIWYG, maybe more like WYSIMWYWG "What you see is maybe what you will get" cross your fingers.
                        www.ianhoar.com - A place to geek out

Comment

Working...