Google vs Yahoo - the MB/GB wars

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DomainDog
    • Mar 2004

I think we have one damn smart bunch of people here at Dathorn!

(am I allowed to say damn?)

It makes these discussions a real pleasure to participate in! Personally, I gain a lot from hearing your varied viewpoints. And our board gets richer with content.

DD
    ** Custom Graphics **
    ** FLASH Animations **
    ** Specialty Domains **
    ** Website Design **

Comment

• shalom_m
      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Frank Hagan
      For me, the rubber meets the road when its government rather than private business gathering the data. Government has the ability to deprive me of my rights in ways that a business cannot do, so restrictions on government have to be more stringent. The concept of "Big Brother" has never meant private industry to me, but government.
      I am less worried about government. Government is impeachable, recallable and accountable. Big corporations are a law to themselves.

Anyway, I still maintain that spam is not pervasive because its effective; its pervasive because its profitable for those selling the lists of email addresses. Spamhaus.org maintains there are only about 200 spammers creating most of the spam; they sell the lists in "get rich quick" schemes. The spam doesn't generate sales of the products advertised. It only enriches those who are selling the service of spamming.
      Be that as it may. Spam is a scourge.
      Two of the companies I host provide medical services. For that reason, most Spam filters are inappropriate – key Spam-words like as pharmacy, medication and all words describing the human body cannot be blocked. They receive in excess of 200 Spam mail notices per published account.

Comment

• Buddha
        • Mar 2004

The concept of "Big Brother" has never meant private industry to me, but government.
        Anyone remember Air America - not the radio station - the airline? Not one of the governments most covert operation in the private sector. If "Big Brother" wants to operate covertly and beyond the law the private sector is the place to do it with absolute deniability.
        "Whatcha mean I shouldn't be rude to my clients?! If you want polite then there will be a substantial fee increase." - Buddha

Comment

• -Oz-
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Buddha
          Anyone remember Air America - not the radio station - the airline? Not one of the governments most covert operation in the private sector. If "Big Brother" wants to operate covertly and beyond the law the private sector is the place to do it with absolute deniability.
          Air America was the Vietnam operation right?
          Dan Blomberg

Comment

• Buddha
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by -Oz-
            Air America was the Vietnam operation right?
            "Whatcha mean I shouldn't be rude to my clients?! If you want polite then there will be a substantial fee increase." - Buddha

Comment

• Frank Hagan
              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by shalom_m
              I am less worried about government. Government is impeachable, recallable and accountable. Big corporations are a law to themselves.
              I understand the point, but I disagree ... big business is subject to any laws you care to have your representatives in government pass. There were more accountants and CEOs thrown in jail last year than government executives, that's for sure, so I'm not at all sure that Martha Stewart would agree that she was a "law unto herself".

Not to mention the fact that government can also execute people, jail them for long terms, and fine them with penalties that cannot be discharged in a bankruptcy proceeding. If you think big business is a law unto itself, tangle with the IRS for a few months.

I do agree that we have a very good government, and have much less to worry about in our normal, day to day lives than most of history's citizens. We live in wonderful times: even our poor people are fat.

Comment

• shalom_m
                • Mar 2004

There were more accountants and CEOs thrown in jail last year than government executives, that's for sure, so I'm not at all sure that Martha Stewart would agree that she was a "law unto herself".
                Granted.
                Tell me this: what proportion of these CEOs and accountants are in jail for crimes against a member - or members - of the public and how many are there for crimes against the State ?

Even in your example of Martha Stewart; if she would have told the truth to the investigators she would have been let off with a slap on the wrist. Only after she decided to lie to the "Government" did the issue become serious.

Consider further, if she had acted like a true corporation she would have created dummy companies offshore and everything would have been handled by lawyers in Barbados or the Isle of Man.

Comment

• Jonathan
                  • Mar 2004

Guys this is getting VERY carried off from the original topic!
                  please get back to Y! vs Google, or start a new topic
                  "How can someone be so distracted yet so focused?"
                  - C

Comment

• Frank Hagan
                    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Jonathan
                    Guys this is getting VERY carried off from the original topic!
                    please get back to Y! vs Google, or start a new topic
                    You are moderating an off-topic post in the "Off Topic - General Discussion" section of the forums?

I give up.

Comment

• chrisd
                      • Mar 2004

You are moderating an off-topic post in the "Off Topic - General Discussion" section of the forums?

I give up.
                      Good grief, here we go again.

Comment

• DomainDog
                        • Mar 2004

Gentlemen, PLEEZE!

Let's have no off-topic discussion in the off-topic forum! After all this ISN'T some kind of LOUNGE!
                        ** Custom Graphics **
                        ** FLASH Animations **
                        ** Specialty Domains **
                        ** Website Design **

Comment

• chrisd
                          • Mar 2004

/me slaps DomainDog with a large trout.

Comment

• DomainDog
                            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by chrisd
                            /me slaps DomainDog with a large trout.
                            [OUCH!]

Chris, that was a really scaly thing to do!

[/OUCH]
                            ** Custom Graphics **
                            ** FLASH Animations **
                            ** Specialty Domains **
                            ** Website Design **

Comment

Working...