Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gerald
    • Mar 2004

How to get off spam lists???

Some people from various different isp providers are not able to access one of my sites now. It seems that the site, or at least the ip address, is on some sort of spam list. How does one get off of this list? I have enclosed all the information I have. Someone else did the lookup. We are skating in new territory for me. Thanks for any information or help.

Gerald:

Looks like I may have figured out why some of us can't access this site. I'm assuming this is your server. Our new T1 line at the office is through SBC. SBC's business customers use more of these open relay/spam filter lists than say SBC home dsl customers. I did a lookup of the ip address for coloradoriver100.com and found that it's ip address is listed at least in one of these open relay/spam lists. See below:

Multi DNSBL Lookup 69.93.197.66 http://openrbl.org/ip/69/93/197/66.htm
    Lookup 69.93.197.66 (cpanel33.gzo.com) in 20+10 Zones
    AS: [NO_ROUTE]
    Net 69/8 NET69 Chantilly, Virginia
    Results: Positive=1, Negative=29 (2004-06-16 20:10:14 UTC)
    FIVETEN/theplanet.com.spam-support: added 2004-06-14;
    spam support - hosting http://www.SloanMarketing.com on 69.56.226.178, was on palcom 203.86.101.61;
    added 2002-10-17;
    spam support - see http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...output=gplain;
    added 2004-04-25; hosting http://postfuture.com/pfweb/ on 64.5.35.0/24; added 2002-10-17;
    spam support - listwashing, refusal to remove spammers; added 2003-06-21;
    called theplanet +1-214-782-7802 - abuse person never returned the call; added 2003-06-28;
    called theplanet +1-214-782-7802 - told them about the SBL and SPEWS listings
    Negative 29: @COUNTRY @DYNAMIC @ISP @SPAM AHBL AUDNSBL BLARS BOGONS BOPM CBL DRBL DSBL INTERSIL JIPPGMA LNSG NJABL NOMORE ORDB PSBL RFC_IPWH SBL SORBS SPAMBAG SPAMCOP SPAMRBL SPAMSITE SPEWS UCEPROT WPBL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hints for 69.93.197.66: (external, use BACK or ALT-LEFT when done)
    Track "cpanel33.gzo.com" at [Whois & Abuse|SpamCop*]
    Search "69.93.197.66" at [Google|SpamCop*|SenderBase] [MAPS|Schlund]
    CHECK: Nominate Relay-Test at: [ORDB] [Add Comment]

Anyway, this would explain why I can't get to the website from our new sbc business t1 line but can get to it from our other t1 and from my home sbc dsl line. I am assuming that Blue Boat's ISP also uses this open relay/spam list but that his wife's ISP probably does not.

I went through a simular situation a couple of years ago with our agents in our office not being able to send email to anyone with an aol address b/c aol uses these list too. I had been running my first email server and didn't really know all the details about securing it and had left open relay open. All the spammers were using my email server to do their dirty work and eventually my mail server's ip address got on one of these lists.

That's what I've got. Anybody got any ideas or know what I need to do?
  • Frank Hagan
    • Mar 2004

Submit a trouble ticket with this information. Andrew has to advise Spamhaus that he has taken the appropriate action, and they will remove the server from their list.

Comment

• gerald
      • Mar 2004

Thanks. I'll do that.

Comment

• chrisd
        • Mar 2004

I don't think SpamHaus (as in don't bother Steve Linford) has anything to do with it.

It looks like the dnsRBL being used is blackholes.five-ten-sg.com ... I'd be more inclined to ask my isp why they're using a list that even the owner claims is "somewhat risky".

Comment

• Frank Hagan
          • Mar 2004

I think you're right ... IP 69.93.197.66 is not listed at Spamhaus.org on the SBL list. I thought I had read that in the header. But I completely missed the "FIVETEN" reference.

Someone will have to sue that guy to get him to quit providing his list the way he does.

Comment

• cjhughes2
            • Jun 2004

Sorbs

Like it or not this problem is getting worse. ww.register.com is now using sorbs lists as well. I just lost a $1000 web design job because I had to tell my potential client I would have to communicate with him through yahoo.com because his domain name host, register.com is blocking my IP. How un-professional is that?

How many people is this effecting? Anyway we could get Andrew to figure out who got cpanel16 on the list and get rid of them, and then take up a collection for the $50.00? I would about pay it myself after loosing $1000+ because of this problem. And its not old and outdated and going away, large sites are starting to use these lists.

Comment

• Frank Hagan
              • Mar 2004

Must not be affecting that many people ... the original message is over a year old.

Comment

• ChrisTech
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by cjhughes2
                Like it or not this problem is getting worse. ww.register.com is now using sorbs lists as well. I just lost a $1000 web design job because I had to tell my potential client I would have to communicate with him through yahoo.com because his domain name host, register.com is blocking my IP. How un-professional is that?

How many people is this effecting? Anyway we could get Andrew to figure out who got cpanel16 on the list and get rid of them, and then take up a collection for the $50.00? I would about pay it myself after loosing $1000+ because of this problem. And its not old and outdated and going away, large sites are starting to use these lists.
                Making the same posts 3x (or more) isn't gonna help the problem.

Admins who use the Sorbs list are just plain ignorant. Using a spam listing that requires "ransom" to be delisted, is not really being a good admin.
                Hosting at Dathorn since March 2003!

My Interwebs speed on Charter Cable!

Comment

• Amitabh
                  • Mar 2004

Unrelated to the Dathorn's server, but to SOrbs list:

Not sure if this is happening elsewhere, but it seems quite a few ISP's in India are pretty happy using the sorbs list. This has come to my notice while installing Mail servers at several of my customers premises. Ultimately, I took a slightly longer route to delivering the emails properly, rather than try to make the mail server admins understand the problems of using Sorbs data. I routed all the mails from the local server to a different dedicated server located at a DC in US, which made it bypass the block list.

Comment

Working...