X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rsowen
    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Jonathan
    :1. I'll be using Redhat 7.2 for now; when installing,
    is there anything specific I should put on? like KDE.
    With a 20 gig drive, you could do an "install everything" install and just not worry about what to choose or not.

What you won't want to do is to try installing new stuff on an old distribution. You'll end up fussing for days to get the right libraries (read "OS updates") to run a newer version of the application, and when you do the OS update, the new libraries might not allow a previously installed application to run. The moral of the story is to install stuff that comes on the 7.2 disk set and forever live with whatever it has.

And that ain't so bad. Once again, new applications are getting more and more bloated and crashy. I don't remember KDE applications ever crashing when I was using 7.2. But I am now in the practice of backing up every five minutes. It is that same as the old days when a TRS-80 would crash from the static electricity generated by typing on a keyboard. But at least you could put a piece of Bounce - the clothes dryer stuff - inside. These days on Linux (or at least on KDE), an application will just disappear from the screen in the middle of a sentence. Poof!

:2. Once its started up, what do I run on the starting SSH or whatever,
    to get some sort of Windows-like GUI (Graphical User Interface?) running?
    Don't worry about it. Just follow the install directions, and when it is done, stuff should work and be somewhat intuitive to explore. (On that particular distribution, that is.)

:3. How to do **absolutely** insure I don't accidently select the 1st hdd?
    Is there any way to tell the C drive from the...D or E drive..?
    (not sure if the hdd will be E, or replace the ROM on D...)
    It's a little scary if partitioning a single drive for multiple operating systems (but used to be much more scary!), but if you are using a second drive, it should be relatively painless if you follow the directions. There will be two ways that you can do an install: a graphical install, or a text-only install. To me, the text-only install is more clear with regard to exactly what are the options and such (but I started with older distributions), but the graphics install is perhaps more clear if you've never done it and it is perhaps harder to do anything nasty with a graphics install. So choose the graphics install when it gets to the point of giving you a choice. Sometimes it will crash on a graphics install, so your only choice will be a text-only install.

:4. Will Apache, PHP, MySQL, OpenSSH, OpenSSL, etc. be auto installed?
    How would I go about installing PostgreSQL? Does it work on Redhat 7.2?
    Check the box for "install everything" rather than a box to install a workstation only or a server only. My recollection is that you will still have some options to choose additional things, so read the screens to see what else you might want to install. Don't recall/ don't know specifics of what is included.

But once again, take everything that it offers because installing newer apps later can be a Great Annoyance. Note that you can add things later from the same distribution disk, but with 20 gigs, you might as well just do it all now.

:5. Setup a filing sharing between the Windows & Redhat systems.
    I.e., I can work on a web design in Redhat, and it'll be there when I
    reboot into Windows; that sort of thing
    I'm experiencing great annoyance these days going back and forth between XP and Fedora. I'm really starting to dislike Linux, and I can see the day when I will add the word "passion" to that statement if the crapware trend continues. But I was in paradise a few years ago with Win98 and Red Hat 7.2 - the best of applications could be shared between the two. If that's the kind of setup you will have, you will have a machine that reboots very quickly on each OS, and you will be able to save all of your Linux files on the Windows drive.

Comment

• Frank Hagan
      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Buddha
      If you can't download it and burn it you can get a nice 4 CD set of Fedora at LenuxCentral or OSDisc for $8.95.
      Thanks for that Buddha. I ordered it yesterday.

I want to set up a box with Linux, sans keyboard and monitor once set up, running as a web server and telnet into it like I would a dedicated server (looking to the future!). I'm assuming I'll need to get Apache, php, etc. to install on it also.

But, what's the minimum configuration, processor, processor speed, etc. for the Fedora distribution? I didn't see it anywhere on LinuxCentral.

Comment

• ThomasW
        • Mar 2004

If you are looking for just a router/gateway, file server, web server, Samba etc etc you should check out http://clarkconnect.com . It is very small (250 meg download) and runs great on old hardware. I have it running on an PII-400 with 128 meg of ram and a 6.4 gig HD.
        I have been running it now for about 6 months and not one problem at all. The only install issue I had was that the BIOS was set for PnP and it did not like that. I keep the server on top of a filing cabinet in the corner, gave the monitor away that was on it last month.

I used to use Mandrake for the same thing but i got tired of Mandrake crapping out on me every few months for no reason other than the fact it could sense when I was close to not making a deadline and like a spoiled child it wanted attention.

Anyway check it out, it is very much worth it!! (actually i think it is still free for home use)
        "The word genius isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein!" ... Joe Theisman

Comment

• openbox
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Frank Hagan
          But, what's the minimum configuration, processor, processor speed, etc. for the Fedora distribution? I didn't see it anywhere on LinuxCentral.
          If you have no intentions of running a GUI or any CPU intensive querries or compiling of software, you can get away with minimal hardware. I personally haven't used Fedora, nor will I, but I have run other Linux distros and *BSDs on a Pentium 90 with 128 MB RAM and 1.6 GB HDD...worked like a champ.

Comment

• Jonathan
            • Mar 2004

Don't worry about it. Just follow the install directions, and when it is done, stuff should work and be somewhat intuitive to explore. (On that particular distribution, that is.)
            Hmm actually I tried that with Redhat 7.2 awhile back,
            and it just gave me a SSH-looking screen - even w/ full install.

Oh well, I'll worry about all this stuff when I get the comp,
            and confirm it has the 20GB installed

I hope its 2morrow, I'll cry if not
            (yes I am dead serious)
            "How can someone be so distracted yet so focused?"
            - C

Comment

• openbox
              • Mar 2004

Hmm actually I tried that with Redhat 7.2 awhile back,
              and it just gave me a SSH-looking screen - even w/ full install.
              Type 'startx' at the prompt to see if it boots into KDE/Gnome. It should if you do the full install.

Comment

• rsowen
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by openbox
                Type 'startx' at the prompt to see if it boots into KDE/Gnome. It should if you do the full install.
                My recollection (few years ago for 7.2, so perhaps flawed) is that by this distribution, a graphic login screen is the default when booted if you just did a standard install. If that's not happening, then it could be that X experienced a problem and just won't start.

This could mean running one of the configuration programs (I no longer remember the file names, but could find an old book when I get home e.g., xconfigurator, or something like that is one), could mean hacking around with the X config file (painful), or could mean that X cannot be made to work with that particular video card. If it's not an all-in-one main board, swap in an oldie video card.

Comment

• Jonathan
                  • Mar 2004

Oh well, I did not manage to get my comp today; first,
                  youth was cancelled and I wasn't even told (really pissed).

Second, she had some problems installing the video card,
                  as I had installed 2KPro using FAT32 instead of NTS.

Also some problems with the 2nd hard drive, as I
                  forgot to tell her it was MAC-formated, and she needed to reformate it.

So, basicly she's gonna wipe the 1st, reinstall 2KPro using NTS,
                  try the video card then (pretty sure it'll work then), and then
                  try to get the 2nd hard drive to work.
                  - C

Comment

• Jonathan
                    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by openbox
                    I have a couple of FreeBSD boxes and an OpenBSD box, all running on Pentium 133 Mhz with 1.6 Gb HDD and 64 MB RAM. They didn't cost a whole lot of $$$.
                    Just wondering, but would a basic system like this be good enough to run Linux w/ GUI?
                    - C

Comment

• ChrisTech
                      • Mar 2004

Just wondering, but would a basic system like this be good enough to run Linux w/ GUI?

LOL

I like that
                      "Windows ME License sticker on back
                      so you can legally load WinME
                      No disks included"

LOL, need the media & the sticker to legitly load it. (sorry, had to pick fun of it) and yes that should be more than enuff to run nix w/ gui.
                      Hosting at Dathorn since March 2003!

My Interwebs speed on Charter Cable!

Comment

• Jonathan
                        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by ChrisTech
                        LOL

I like that
                        "Windows ME License sticker on back
                        so you can legally load WinME
                        No disks included"

LOL, need the media & the sticker to legitly load it. (sorry, had to pick fun of it) and yes that should be more than enuff to run nix w/ gui.
                        My pastor has a Windows ME disk I can always borrow if
                        I want to kill the PC (at least, if I went online...).

I only just learned my HP has a License Sticker on the back,
                        for Windows XP a couple weeks back. To think I could've legally
                        acquired XP for little to no $$ outta the pocket

Now just to convience ze parentos to front me $20 or so.
                        - C

Comment

• openbox
                          • Mar 2004

Jonathan, I'm currently typing this on my AMD 700Mhz, 512MB RAM FreeBSD box with Gnome 2.8 running. It's a little laggy compared to some of my faster hardware, but it definitely works better than what Windows XP would.

Comment

• Jonathan
                            • Mar 2004

Is it faster than XP (@least on a 700mhz box)? How does
                            FreeBSD compared to Fedora? Or is the gnone same? etc.

I'll have to hold off for the holidays, but I think
                            I'm going to go ahead and get it. One way or another.
                            - C

Comment

• openbox
                              • Mar 2004

Is it faster than XP (@least on a 700mhz box)? How does
                              FreeBSD compared to Fedora? Or is the gnone same? etc.
                              For what I do with the gui, it's plenty fast. I'd say speedwise, it equates to faster than Win XP but slower than Win2K if I had to make a rough guess. Just my personal observations.

I can't compare to Fedora because I haven't used it since Red Hat branched the code. In fact, I haven't really used Red Hat since 6.2. I installed 8.something one time for a day or so and quickly removed it.

If you're strictly looking to build, play, and learn with *NIX, then the 700MHz machine should be plenty. If you want to use it for more than basic office apps and slowly compiling software, I'd look at better hardware.

Comment

Working...