Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Big Dog
    • May 2004

add-on domain

This is sort of a dumb question because I had this working before ....

Within Cpanel I am having trouble getting getting a new addon domain to work. Here is an example that explains my problem

Assume my main account is blues.com and the addon domain I am having
    trouble with is guitar.com

When I attempt to add the addon domain CPanel asks the following questions:

New domain : guitar.com (I know this answer is correct.)

Username/directory/subdomain Name:

for this do I use

(1) guitar

or
    (2) /home/blues/www/guitar

If I try it using method (1) then Cpanel takes the change, but after I put a index.html in the guitar directory, when I try to navigate to it in my browser I get "The page cannot be found".

If I try method (2) then CPanel throws the following error message:

"Addon Domain Additions

could not be modified because it does not resolve to a valid ip address. Please ask the system admin to check their resolv.conf and their dns trust relationship Ignore any messages of success this can only result in failure! "

Any ideas?
    Last edited by Big Dog; 06-30-2004, 12:19 PM.
  • J-G
    • May 2004

Mmmm..

BD,
    I believe the "username" is limited to 8 characters. When I Add On a customer's long website name it truncates it to 8. Try guitarm or guitar1 etc. as the Username/directory/subdomain Name

Corrections or consensus, anyone?

<OT>
    Are ya any relation to NBA player (and Gary IN native) Glenn Robinson a/k/a The Big Dog?
    </OT>
    กกก Jess G. กกก

Comment

• russgri

Your addon domain will not resolve immediately..
      The DNS will take up to 24 hours to resolve...

Comment

• Big Dog
        • May 2004

Good try ...

That is a good try, but with option (1) when I ping the domain it gives the right ip address. I've had the domain pointing to the dathorn server for months. I just changed the status of the domain from "parked" domain to addon. So I don't think that is the answer.

The explanation would not explain option (2).

I appreciate the try.

Comment

• Big Dog
          • May 2004

Problem is fixed

Well, I finally broke down and asked Dathorn support. It turned out the problem was caused by a .htaccess script I had placed in the root web directory. I think it was causing the .html to be turned into .php, and I did not have a index.php in the directory. Dumb me.

The answer to the question for what directory name to use is: just use the name of the domain. Don't include any path info.

Dathorn support is fast!! Thanks everyone for your support!

Comment

Working...