Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suing spammers: any chance?

...that sounds like a lot of work. Great if you have the time.

Quote Originally Posted by 580203
    ...that sounds like a lot of work. Great if you have the time.
    If you are talking about the script that I mentioned, then I don't think it is a lot of work. Just a straight forward script installation and maybe a generic html page thrown up to hold it. I haven't done this yet, but if the tide of spam doesn't reduce I will do it as a means to strike back.
    Kerry Slavin
    Reliable Solution Internet Services
    For the best independent support for webhosts & their customers visit -
    JointSupportForum.Com

Daytona Beach, FL / Rochester, NY / Coeur d'Alene, ID

Quote Originally Posted by Ihost
    If you are talking about the script that I mentioned, then I don't think it is a lot of work. Just a straight forward script installation and maybe a generic html page thrown up to hold it. I haven't done this yet, but if the tide of spam doesn't reduce I will do it as a means to strike back.
    If this work and doesn't some how get your domain
    suspended, send that baby to me

I'll be more than willing to toss it up,
    even to make a non-noticable dent
    "How can someone be so distracted yet so focused?"
    - C

Quote Originally Posted by Ihost
    I have seen a script that dynamically creates hundreds of fake email addresses along with a link to another page that does the same. By doing this a few times (don't go overboard) you will help add hundreds and thousands of useless email addresses to the spammers lists which cuts down on thier effectiveness as the get tons of bounced email back.

Maybe that is one way to strike back.
    Realistically, what will this do other than increase bandwidth usage and ultimately contribute to higher prices we all end up paying for the Internet? You think the Spammers care about bounce backs? They never even see 'em.

Here's another way to attack the problem: FTC Spam Complaint Form. Don't know how much good this will do, either, though.

justme

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Hagan
    There is an attorney who specializes in this kind of thing in San Francisco. I was prepared to use the incoming California law to sue all the domestic spammers I could for the $500 per spam liquidated damages, but the Federal "CAN-SPAM" law, which legalized spam, superseded the California law. Score another one for the American Marketing Association.

Find out if the business is a US based business. If its off-shore, you probably don't stand a chance of doing anything about it.
    The article on my Website tells of what I found when I tracked down a certain spammer. Spam article

CAN-SPAM seems to have emboldened the spammers. This outfit will gladly send spam for you for only $1 per 1,000 pieces in small quantities and less in larger quantities.

Near the bottom of this page you will find these two rather sobering quotes from their Website:

Offshore Legal Direct E-Mail Marketing Services
    Take advantage the most cost effective way of marketing of this e-age to legally email to your potential customers and boost your sales during the great Chinese Monkey Year of 2004.

Check out the news of the CAN SPAM ACT signed on 12/16/03 by President Bush. Effective on Jan 1, 2004, this federal Law legalized UCE in the United States and overrides any contradictory state laws in the country.

Daytona Beach, FL / Rochester, NY / Coeur d'Alene, ID

Nice article
    "How can someone be so distracted yet so focused?"
    - C

Thread Information