X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bceschi
    • Aug 2004

dnsreport.com & stealth nameservers

When I use http://www.dnsreport.com to check my domain 'ceschi.net'
    it complains that I have 'Missing (stealth) nameservers' & 'Stealth NS record leakage' There's a bunch of other warnings too, but the FAIL's are what I' worried about.

Is this a problem? I setup ns1/ns2.ceschi.net at my domain registrar, what else should I be doing?

> Ben
  • johngute
    • Apr 2004

change your dns servers dns37.gzo.com and dns37.gzo.com to fix the problem

edit, try http://www.checkdns.net/ they give lots of detail about problems

Comment

• mdmcginn
      • Mar 2004

I like dnsreport better than checkdns.

johngute, I think all you're saying is not to use custom nameservers. But custom nameservers are one thing I like about Dathorn. How can we fix the problem and still use custom nameservers?

I actually have two sets of custom nameservers. I just switched most of my domains over to the newer ones, so they may not have propagated yet.

It seems like when I check my DNS records, the records in the SOA and in the Dathorn nameserver are one step old. The ones I just updated still show the previous custom nameserver, the ones I didn't update still show the non-custom nameservers gzo.com.

I think Andrew says this will work fine for almost all ISPs, but that people can open trouble tickets if necessary.

Should I also go to my registrar and click Submit again to resend the nameserver records? How else can you fix a problem when the registrar has the correct information but DNS servers around the Internet don't?

Comment

• mdmcginn
        • Mar 2004

When I opened a trouble ticket, Andrew gave me access to edit zone records, and it was easy to fix these problems. I just change the gzo entries to my own (stealth) DNS entries (ns1.mydomain.com., ns2.mydomain.com.). They all use the same database anyway. For nameservers, a period goes after the com (look carefully).

Comment

Working...