Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThomasW
    • Mar 2004

Ancient PC History

A friend at work gave me this link the other day, spent quite a few hours on the site looking at the old PC's.

The museum of old, rare, vintage, antique computers

My first PC it was an Apple ][+ and I got it with 48k (couldn't afford a floppy at the time #$#@$).
    I will never forget the salesman asking me "Are you sure you want that much memory, 48k is an awful lot of memory you know."

memories...
    "The word genius isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein!" ... Joe Theisman
  • Buddha
    • Mar 2004

My first computer I ever got my hands on was TRS-80 in 1977. Think I still have around here somewhere too. It had a whooping 4kb's of memory.
    "Whatcha mean I shouldn't be rude to my clients?! If you want polite then there will be a substantial fee increase." - Buddha

Comment

• ThomasW
      • Mar 2004

My mom's school had a TRS-80 (1979-80), why?? No idea, no one knew what to do with it, but I would beg her to let me take it home on the weekends sometimes so I could mess with it.

The first time I ever saw something actually useful on a TRS-80 was a program a friend of mine had called Eliza, the therapy program. We used to spend hours typing in "problems" we had to see what it would say back to us and what our problems were.
      "The word genius isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein!" ... Joe Theisman

Comment

• Jonathan
        • Mar 2004

I forget the first PC I ever used was...

I know it was just when CD-ROMs were coming out;
        it had a big ol' 5" floopy drive and I ran, was some pre-95 Flight Sim by Microsoft.
        "How can someone be so distracted yet so focused?"
        - C

Comment

• bd2003
          • Mar 2004

C64 with a screaming 300Bd modem and the ever-so-reliable cassette tape drive!

Comment

• Eric
            • Mar 2004

I had a Xerox 820 I bought a bit at a time (main unit, monitor, keyboard). I found a good deal on some 8 inch floppy drives so I bought 2, and connected them with big ribbon cables. The power supply I bought wasn't fully enclosed, so that was OK until we had kids. I ran CP/M and Ward Christensen's "Modem7" SW with a 300 baud modem. I learned Pascal on that box.

It was pretty exciting to make it all work!

Comment

• bhills
              • Mar 2004

amstrad

The first one I ever bought was an Amstrad that booted up to the CPM operating system from a floppy. No hard drive at all. And I wrote and sold a lot of stories on that computer. It was the first one to use the revolutionary hard floppies, rather than the soft 5.25 inchers that you could bend. I can still remember the sound of the floppy drive as it worked.

Comment

• ThomasW
                • Mar 2004

A freind of mine had a C64 and had a floppy drive for it. I never understood why but that drive was about the size of the C64 and weighed about 300 pounds...
                He still has it over at his parents house...maybe we should go over and play the Olympics cart?

Comment

Working...