Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dominic
    • Mar 2004

Accessing Webmail Through Port 80

Ok - I know there is a work around for this. As stands, Port 2082 and 2095 are used to route mail traffic. So if you are behind a corporate firewall you will most likely not have access.

How do we get around this issue?

Thanks,

DS
  • Andy
    • Mar 2004

3rd party websites will let you connect

Thats one i know of off top of my head. There are others out there.
    Seach google for anonymous web or proxies.
    Andy

Comment

• Dan
      • Mar 2004

Or you could install your own copy of Squirrelmail or something too then it's also fully customizable as well

Comment

• ChrisTech
        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Dan
        Or you could install your own copy of Squirrelmail or something too then it's also fully customizable as well

Got directions on how to do the setup?
        Hosting at Dathorn since March 2003!

My Interwebs speed on Charter Cable!

Comment

• Andy
          • Mar 2004

I assumed cPanel and WHM aswell. But for email only, then yes, install squirrelmail yourself. That is what I am doing.

Andy

Comment

• Dan
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by ChrisTech
            Got directions on how to do the setup?
            It's been a while since I've installed mine but here's what is in the FAQ

There was a great post on Squirrelmail plugins on the old forum too. It was a long thread but I bet that either Ikkebra or Piku could ressurect it as they're both Squirrelmail gurus
            Last edited by Dan; 03-30-2004, 01:26 PM.

Comment

• openbox
              • Mar 2004

You don't need 777 permissions with phpsuexec, nor would I recommend them for anything.

Comment

• DaCurryman
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Dan
                It's been a while since I've installed mine but here's what is in the FAQ

There was a great post on Squirrelmail plugins on the old forum too. It was a long thread but I bet that either Ikkebra or Piku could ressurect it as they're both Squirrelmail gurus
                I would agree that Ikkebra is a great resource for help on SQMail. He helped me with my install a while back. I remember the thread with Ikkebra & Piku...would be nice to get that back.

Comment

• Klaassh
                  • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Dan
                  There was a great post on Squirrelmail plugins on the old forum too.
                  Yeap, kept that. KyleC has posted it in the FAQ section.
                  A good friend will bail you out of jail
                  But your best friend will be sitting next to you,
                  saying "That was awesome!"

Comment

• Dan
                    • Mar 2004

When I installed Squirrelmail I put the upload and attach folders in my root folder rather than under public_html due to some security concerns that had been mentioned. This was before PHP Suexec had been enabled though and I do not know what these should be CHMODed to now.

Originally posted by Klaassh
                    Yeap, kept that. KyleC has posted it in the FAQ section.
                    LOL I didn't even notice that plugins were at the bottom of the list, thanks Klaassh.

One thing though...

Code:
                    global $plugins;
                    /**
                    * To install plugins, just add elements to this array that have
                    * the plugin directory name relative to the /plugins/ directory.
                    * For instance, for the 'sqclock' plugin, you'd put a line like
                    * the following.
                    You'd put a line like the following...? I'm not sure what this is saying but when I install plugins I:

Download the plugin locally.
                    Extract the files.
                    Configure as needed.
                    Upload to the $squirrelinstall$/plugins folder.
                    SSH in and change to the $squirrelinsall/config folder.
                    Enter 'perl conf.pl' #This is the configuration file for SQMail. There are many other things that you can change here too.
                    Go to option 8
                    You now see a list of Installed/Available plugins.
                    Enter the number of the Installed plugin (to disable) or Available plugin (to enable).
                    Press S to save.
                    Press Q to quit.

Comment

• ken
                      • Mar 2004

I know many people who will like to access their webmail on port 80. Especially for people from behide a company firewall that blocks outgoing ports.

Is there a special reason why Dathorn is not using port 80? Is it possible to make a change so we don't have to install Squirrelmail on each site? that will be wonderful. Thanks.

Comment

• openbox
                        • Mar 2004

It's a cPanel thing. Just like their other non-standard ports.

Comment

• diver
                          • Mar 2004

http://cpanelproxy.net/ will give you what you need for Port 80.

Comment

• ken
                            • Mar 2004

cPanelProxy install problem

Between the options of installing Squirrelmail or installing cPanlProxy to read webmail on port 80, I picked cpanelProxy, thinking it is a easier task.

However, I stll run into questions/problems:

1. Can I just setup webmail without using cpanl and WHS with cpanelproxy?

2. I created subdomain webmail.mydomain.com then uploaded cpanelproxy.php, php.ini, .htaccess to my www/webmail folder.. I then set my browser to webmail.mydomain.com/webmail/cpanelproxy.php and the login box pop up and asking me for user name and password, after I signin, the address turns to webmail.mydomain.com:2095/ . This is not right. Can someone tell me what was wrong? ( i am testing it without the firewall at the moment)

3. Is there a reason why this script can not be installed server wide so individual doesn't have to go through this?

Comment

• ken
                              • Mar 2004

I only have webmail set up and it works now.

The install procedure is real simple. After setup, webmail.yourdomain.com will bring you a login window and you are set to go.

The problem I had was due to incorrect DNS setting on my part so you will not see it.

Comment

Working...