X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • anonalex
    • Aug 2004

a bunch of cumbersome questions

Hi,

I'm seriously considering one of your hosting plans. In order to help me pick a provider from the 3 that I have narroved it down to, I'd like to have some detailed questions answered. I appreciate your time and patience.

Alex

1. Which version of Apache are you running?
    2. Do you provide SSH access to the server?
    3. Do you provide telnet access to the server?
    4. Are you a reseller?
    5. Do you maintain the servers yourselves?
    6. To what degree do you overload the servers?
    7. What is your policy on running scripts and programs from the command line? For example, I want to use a script to back up my database.
    8. Do you provide access to cron? Can I use it to execute command line scripts or only though a Web URL?
    9. Can I see the output of "phpinfo" on the server I'll be assigned to?
    10. Is PHP installed as an Apache module?
    11. What is the Apache setting "AllowOverride" set to?
    12. Is PHP Safe Mode disabled?
    13. How much warning to you give before upgrades are performed? Is is possible to get a copy of the php.ini file you'll be using for the upgrade before it happens?
    14. Could you provide me with a list of the installed PHP extensions?
    15. Will PHP be available for use from the command line?
  • openbox
    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by anonalex
    1. Which version of Apache are you running?
    2. Do you provide SSH access to the server?
    3. Do you provide telnet access to the server?
    4. Are you a reseller?
    5. Do you maintain the servers yourselves?
    6. To what degree do you overload the servers?
    7. What is your policy on running scripts and programs from the command line? For example, I want to use a script to back up my database.
    8. Do you provide access to cron? Can I use it to execute command line scripts or only though a Web URL?
    9. Can I see the output of "phpinfo" on the server I'll be assigned to?
    10. Is PHP installed as an Apache module?
    11. What is the Apache setting "AllowOverride" set to?
    12. Is PHP Safe Mode disabled?
    13. How much warning to you give before upgrades are performed? Is is possible to get a copy of the php.ini file you'll be using for the upgrade before it happens?
    14. Could you provide me with a list of the installed PHP extensions?
    15. Will PHP be available for use from the command line?
    1. 1.3.29 on my box
    2. Yes
    3. No, secure shell
    4. Dathorn leases servers from The Planet
    5. Dathorn admins the servers
    6. They really aren't overloaded...honestly
    7. As long as the script doesn't call an extreme number of processes or kill the server, you're probably ok; ask tech support about specific scripts if you're concerned
    8. Yes you have access to cron
    9. Yes; http://servername.gzo.com/phpinfo.php
    10. As CGI
    11. ???
    12. Yes
    13. Depending on the upgrade, but probably days; php.ini is probably available if asked for

Comment

• Buddha
      • Mar 2004

Just another customer...

10. PHPSUEXEC
      11. You can use htaccess.

Dang your fast Openbox!
      "Whatcha mean I shouldn't be rude to my clients?! If you want polite then there will be a substantial fee increase." - Buddha

Comment

• AndrewT
        Administrator
        • Mar 2004

14. See http://69.56.171.50/phpinfo.php
        15. Yes.

Comment

• anonalex
          • Aug 2004

a few clarifications

Thanks for the quick reply! I have a couple more questions to help clarify things for me:

a. It looks like PHP is running as CGI (as opposed to an Apache Module) with phpsuexec to keep users from reading others' .php's. However, from what I've read, you cannot change php.ini settings with .htaccess when running PHP in this way (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/archiv.../284511-1.html). Just want to clarify this point, since Buddha says I can use .htaccess.

b. Does the provided access to cron allow me to execute command line scripts? I know some hosts only allow you to execute scripts via a Web URL, while I'd like to be able to execute command line scripts (for example, to back up a database).

Thanks,
          Alex

Comment

• openbox
            • Mar 2004

a. It looks like PHP is running as CGI (as opposed to an Apache Module) with phpsuexec to keep users from reading others' .php's. However, from what I've read, you cannot change php.ini settings with .htaccess when running PHP in this way (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/archiv.../284511-1.html). Just want to clarify this point, since Buddha says I can use .htaccess.
            You can have your own php.ini files.
            b. Does the provided access to cron allow me to execute command line scripts? I know some hosts only allow you to execute scripts via a Web URL, while I'd like to be able to execute command line scripts (for example, to back up a database).
            Yes.

Comment

• Buddha
              • Mar 2004

Just want to clarify this point, since Buddha says I can use .htaccess.
              You can use the htaccess for other things like mod_rewrite for one. But your right php configuration options don't belong in your htaccess put them in a php.ini file like Openbox has said.
              "Whatcha mean I shouldn't be rude to my clients?! If you want polite then there will be a substantial fee increase." - Buddha

Comment

• anonalex
                • Aug 2004

thanks for the answers - I signed up today

Thanks for the answers, everyone. I signed up for an account today.

Alex

Comment

• Big Dog
                  • May 2004

I've been with Dathorn for about 6 months. I think you will be very happy. They are a very solid company.

Comment

Working...