Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cgcullen
    • Mar 2004

No Nameservers

I have client with an account that was working fine yesterday - just pointed to my custom servers about a week ago. I did a whois look up yesterday and they were pointing to my servers so I notified the client that everything was working. This morning she sent me an email that her account is not working. Today, I do the whois lookup and it says No Nameservers.

Any ideas why it would say that? When I look in her registrar account it shows them pointing to my nameservers.

Help!

Thanks,
    Cindy
  • Jonathan
    • Mar 2004

What register is it? Has the domain fully propagated? etc.
    "How can someone be so distracted yet so focused?"
    - C

Comment

• cgcullen
      • Mar 2004

registrar

It was working yesterday - I went to the website and it pulled up the index page, so I felt sure it had propagated.

Cindy

Comment

• Mar 2004

Have you tried the whois at www.dnsstuff.com or the one at www.lowestdomainrates.com?

If they both say noname servers than I would contact www.lowestdomainrates.com.

Make sure the name is not expired or suspended for any reason...

Good luck!

Comment

• cgcullen
          • Mar 2004

Still no luck

I contacted LowestDomainRates.com and they haven't responded. Do you think it would help to transfer the domain name to another registrar? When I look that the domain name in the LDR account - it has the correct nameservers, but the whois is still showing No Nameservers.

I'm at a loss.

Thanks,
          Cindy

Comment

• Mar 2004

Originally posted by cgcullen
            When I look that the domain name in the LDR account - it has the correct nameservers, but the whois is still showing No Nameservers.
            This sounds like almost the same exact problem I had with Network Solutions a few weeks ago: http://forums.dathorn.com/showthread.php?t=796

Does LDR have a phone number that you can call?

Transferring away from LDR would probably work BUT LDR still has to OK the transfer before it goes to the new resistor.

Comment

• Frank Hagan
              • Mar 2004

Looks like LDR is a "ItsYourDomain.com" reseller. You won't be able to transfer the name to another registrar. They have restrictions that make it very inconvenient. Check their Terms of Service; most of the "ItsYourDomain.com" folks have the following requirements you must submit by US Mail to transfer:

1. Copy of picture ID
              2. Notarized Letter with original credit card account number
              3. $15 "transfer fee"

Considering that it costs $10 to notarize a letter, plus the time taken, its better to either abandon the domain name or continue to suffer with their service.

Comment

• cgcullen
                • Mar 2004

Thanks!

Thanks guys. Still haven't heard anything from them. We may abandon the name. I wish I had known her before she signed up with these guys.

Thanks again,
                Cindy

Comment

• Frank Hagan
                  • Mar 2004

You can try a transfer at another registrar, although I think ItsYourDomain.com enforces a 30 day rule from the time of original registration that LDR may also have. Its also possible that LDR doesn't have the same restrictions (they don't have a TOS that I can see on their site).

I would recommend GoDaddy.com to try and transfer the domain name to. I don't like GoDaddy personally, since they pester you so much to buy stuff while you are there, but they are an accredited registrar (subject to the ICANN rules) and they don't hassle you about transfers later on. (I do have a few names registered there).

You can go there and initiate the transfer, and see what the reaction is from LDR. At most, it will cost you $7.95 or $8.95, and GoDaddy will refund that if the transfer doesn't go through.

I set up an info site at http://www.DomainNamesResource.com to try and give people tips and pointers about DNS and how it works (and to pressure DomainsNext.com, another unscrupulous domain name reseller, to release my domain names). It might be an interesting read for you ... the FAQs from Internic and ICANN are explained there.

Comment

• cgcullen
                    • Mar 2004

Thanks

I have my own domain services so that's where I'd get it - IF I could ever get a transfer.

Thanks for all the help!

Cindy

Comment

Working...