How to set up domain name forwarding / pointing?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • crunch42
    • Feb 2005

How to set up domain name forwarding / pointing?

I have two domain names. One of them is already set up with a hosting package. How do I set up the other one to point (or forward or whatever the term is) to the same hosting package?

For example, abcd.com is all set up and ready to go. I also have abcde.com which I want to resolve to abcd.com. Is this something I set up with the registrar or Dathorn?

Thanks!
    Julian
  • Frank Hagan
    • Mar 2004

You need to do two things.

1. At your registrar, change the nameservers to point to the same nameservers as your domain with the hosting package here.

2. Log into Cpanel for your domain here, and add the new domain name using the "Add On Domain" function.

After the nameserver change propegates throughout the Internet, typing either domain name will take you to your site on your hosting account here. Nameserver changes have been propegating much faster than before, but it may take up to 48 hours.

Comment

• crunch42
      • Feb 2005

And in the cpanel...

Thanks for the info. But I go into the cpanel for Addon Domain Maintenance, and there are three fields: "New Domain Name", "Username/Subdirectory/Subdomain Name", and "Password". I know what to put in for New Domain Name, but not for the other two. Do I leave them blank since I'm not creating a subdomain but a domain pointer? If I just fill in the first field and leave the other two blank I get the following error:

Addon Domain Additions

could not be modified because it does not resolve to a valid ip address. Please ask the system admin to check their resolv.conf and their dns trust relationship Ignore any messages of success this can only result in failure!

Sorry, you are not allowed to add any more then (0) parked domains!

could not be modified because it does not resolve to a valid ip address. Please ask the system admin to check their resolv.conf and their dns trust relationship Ignore any messages of success this can only result in failure!

laresidentialappraisals.com could not be setup. The subdomain .laresidentialappraisal.com was not setup either.

Comment

• Buddha
        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Frank Hagan
        You need to do two things.

1. At your registrar, change the nameservers to point to the same nameservers as your domain with the hosting package here.
        Did you skip step one?
        "Whatcha mean I shouldn't be rude to my clients?! If you want polite then there will be a substantial fee increase." - Buddha

Comment

• crunch42
          • Feb 2005

Of course not. Do I have to wait for the DNS to propagate before doing step 2?

Comment

• Buddha
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by crunch42
            Of course not. Do I have to wait for the DNS to propagate before doing step 2?
            I checked the domain (aresidentialappraisals.com) above using nslookup and it did not return NS entries. Therefore, You may have to wait for your domain registrar in the very least. How long the change take to get to root at least depends on your domain registrar. I have to email changes to one registrar and it can be a day before changes are made. Godaddy seem to be almost instantaneous though. Another registrar updates every 12 hours. In other words, your mileage may vary from registrar to registrar.
            "Whatcha mean I shouldn't be rude to my clients?! If you want polite then there will be a substantial fee increase." - Buddha

Comment

• Buddha
              • Mar 2004

Weird normally I would expect NS records of some kind even if wrong? Hmm no Whois info either? You just buy this domain?

Comment

• crunch42
                • Feb 2005

it's "laresidentialappraisals", not "aresidentialappraisals". so you're saying that the dns needs to be propagated before doing step 2, or no?

Comment

• Buddha
                  • Mar 2004

Originally posted by crunch42
                  it's "laresidentialappraisals", not "aresidentialappraisals". so you're saying that the dns needs to be propagated before doing step 2, or no?
                  Actually laresidentialappraisals.com looks to be ready. Have you allotted any park domains to the cPanel in WHM? Edit the domain's package or modify the account and check "Max Parked Domains", you'll need atleast one or set it to unlimited. You can also park the domain through WHM too. Look under DNS Functions > Park or Point a Domain, might be easier too.

Comment

• crunch42
                    • Feb 2005

Strange that I had to increase the max parked domains and not the increase addon domains setting. And then when I did the addon in cpanel I got all sorts of error messages:

Could not be modified because it does not resolve to a valid ip address. Please ask the system admin to check their resolv.conf and their dns trust relationship Ignore any messages of success this can only result in failure!

Nameserver ips for laresidentialappraisals.com are: 69.56.145.67,69.56.145.68 Bind reloading on cpanel22 using rndc
                    Created DNS entry for laresidentialappraisals.com

Setup Mail forward laresidentialappraisals.com -> laresidentialappraisal.com
                    Setup laresidentialappraisals.com OK
                    Adding httpd.conf entry for laresidentialappraisals.com to point to laresidentialappraisal.com

You must specify a password. Ignore any messages of success this can only result in failure!

laresidentialappraisals.com has been setup. It can be accessed via the subdomain

BUT, it did seem to work, which is what matters. Thanks for the info!

- Julian

Comment

• xeelee
                      • Apr 2004

Strange. Does this vary from registrar to registrar? I have several pointers elsewhere that require me to do nothing with cpanel. They just go straight to the site I have them pointed.

Comment

Working...