Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zalman
    • Mar 2005

AllowOverride inside .htaccess

I am interested in disabling .htaccess for some subdirectory in my site. I tried to set the AllowOverride directive in the parrent directory but got an error.
    The error i'm getting is "AllowOverride is not allowed here"

Any thoughts?
    Thnaks
  • AndrewT
    Administrator
    • Mar 2004

Please clarify as to what you mean in regards to disabling .htaccess? If you don't have a .htaccess file, it won't be used. If there is one there, it will be used.

Comment

• Zalman
      • Mar 2005

More info

I am trying to set up space that users can upload files (untrusted) and I would like to "sandbox" this area. Now, its rather easy to disable code execution, ie perl or cgi, with .htaccess (with AddHandler default-handler .cgi .pl .shtml). THE PROBLEM is users can upload .htaccess files! By that they can reverse this action.

I looked up this issue and found the AllowOverride apache directive is allowed only in a Directory directive, which in turn is allowd only in a configuration file.

So my question is can I have a line added in the configuration file, that looks like:

<Directory /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/sites/sendbox>
      AllowOverride none
      </Directory>
      ?

thanks in advance

Comment

• AndrewT
        Administrator
        • Mar 2004

Unfortunately a custom change like this would just get wiped out by cPanel almost every day. If you are using a script to upload I would make sure that it does not allow .htaccess files to be uploaded. If you're giving them FTP access you could give them access to a directory outside of your public_html.

Comment

• Zalman
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by AndrewT
          Unfortunately a custom change like this would just get wiped out by cPanel almost every day. If you are using a script to upload I would make sure that it does not allow .htaccess files to be uploaded. If you're giving them FTP access you could give them access to a directory outside of your public_html.
          I dont understand what you mean by: it would get wipped out by cpanel?

I meant inserting it in the apache configuration file.

Comment

• AndrewT
            Administrator
            • Mar 2004

Yes, I know what you meant. cPanel controls everything that is in the Apache configuration, whenever cPanel updates/refreshes it, the custom change that you are wanting will get removed. This is not a solution to your problem.

Comment

• Zalman
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by AndrewT
              Yes, I know what you meant. cPanel controls everything that is in the Apache configuration, whenever cPanel updates/refreshes it, the custom change that you are wanting will get removed. This is not a solution to your problem.
              Maybe there is a way to tell cpanel you want a custom addition?

I am trying to build a nice site based on that.

Thanks in advance
              -Meni

Comment

• AndrewT
                Administrator
                • Mar 2004

Modifying the Apache configuration is not going to be a good and reliable solution to your problem. You'll need to figure out alternative methods to accomplish the task. I noted a couple options in an earlier response.

Comment

Working...