X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AndrewT
    Administrator
    • Mar 2004

What's Missing?

If there was one thing (or even more than one thing) that we don't have or offer that you would like to see - what would it be? Just trying to come up with ways to improve the service here but I would like to know what everyone thinks first.
  • Jonathan
    • Mar 2004

Okay I'm going off on some wishful thinking for a second, so bear with me

I'd like to see a way to get self-signed/generated SSL Certs;
    for very very low grade stuff (protecting a membership system).

Possibly an option, in WHM when you go to make an account,
    whether the account can make a controlled sub-domain?

Basicly so if a user wants to setup a sub-domain for a friend,
    they can make one with limitied space/bandwidth...?
    "How can someone be so distracted yet so focused?"
    - C

Comment

• AndrewT
      Administrator
      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Jonathan
      Possibly an option, in WHM when you go to make an account,
      whether the account can make a controlled sub-domain?

Basicly so if a user wants to setup a sub-domain for a friend,
      they can make one with limitied space/bandwidth...?
      Please stick to things that we have some control over. Something like this would have to be implemented by cPanel.

You also can generate self-signed certificates via SSH or even on your own computer. This is just not something we support or explain to users how to do it.

Comment

• Jonathan
        • Mar 2004

whhops heh didn't realize that was all the cPanel stuff (I forget stuff easily...)
        - C

Comment

• ChrisTech
          • Mar 2004

The ability to access your WHM via your account management page.

Not sure if that is even possible though. Would make loggin into WHm a bit easier for some I think.

Just a thought.
          Hosting at Dathorn since March 2003!

My Interwebs speed on Charter Cable!

Comment

• Grunfeld
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by AndrewT
            If there was one thing (or even more than one thing) that we don't have or offer that you would like to see - what would it be? Just trying to come up with ways to improve the service here but I would like to know what everyone thinks first.
            Could you offer more traffic per month as a add on for a few extra dollars, same would apply to space

Cheers,
            Cheers,

Gary
            (This space for rent)

Comment

• Jonathan
              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Grunfeld
              Could you offer more traffic per month as a add on for a few extra dollars, same would apply to space

Cheers,
              I second this one

Also maybe be able to pay a dollar or two a month
              to be able to have access to an alternative Database type,
              in addition to the normal mySQL. (like PostgreSQL, Oracle, etc.)
              Last edited by Jonathan; 08-23-2004, 08:33 AM.
              - C

Comment

• Buddha
                • Mar 2004

Plesk? Actually I already have a reseller Plesk account else where and I'm very happy with the stability. Bet I could be even more happy with Dathorn Plesk account!
                "Whatcha mean I shouldn't be rude to my clients?! If you want polite then there will be a substantial fee increase." - Buddha

Comment

• medwards
                  • Mar 2004

RV Skin

I would love to see RV Skins added, also CPSKINS does not keep up as well as Fantastico seems to with adding new software.

Comment

• justme
                    • Mar 2004

What 'bout some VPS options???

justme

Comment

• AndrewT
                      Administrator
                      • Mar 2004

At this time we don't have any plans or desire to add a second type of control panel.

Having said that, we have thought about offering Fantastico and RVSkin.

Additionally bandwidth/disk space with a nominal fee wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Comment

• Jim
                        • Mar 2004

What I would like to see is somewhere to go if we ever overload the server. I was very close to leaving Dathorn because of some of the comments at WHT. I wasn't upset over the fact that the sites were terminated, but that they had to go look for hosting elsewhere.

I was going to switch to a host that offers shared reseller like dathorn, but also has semi-dedi if a site expands unexpectedly. It was more than 3 times the price over the regular plans, but I would be willing to pay it if given a choice bettween leaving or staying at a host that knows their stuff.

In other words, given the choice, I'd rather not leave but unless you have an option for me to stay....

Comment

• AndrewT
                          Administrator
                          • Mar 2004

A VPS or even semi-dedicated solution is something that I do not wish to get into at all. I know that there are hosts that offer these but I simply do not feel that we would be able to offer them at a worthwhile price (as compared to a completely dedicated server) while still maintaining a profit and quality service/performance.

We may be able to provide a complete dedicated server option from our large business relationship that we already have with The Planet. However, this would be a fair amount more expensive than regular ServerMatrix type servers and would include basic system management as desired.

So I guess it just depends on what you are looking for in particular - the exact same provider/support/network/etc. or low prices.

Comment

• medwards
                            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by AndrewT
                            At this time we don't have any plans or desire to add a second type of control panel.

Having said that, we have thought about offering Fantastico and RVSkin.

Additionally bandwidth/disk space with a nominal fee wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Glad to here you are thinking about them (Rv Skin & Fantastico)

Comment

• DosEvil
                              • Apr 2004

Andrew I’d like to complement you on your terrific service and support as well as taking the time to better your services.

With that said, what about the possibility of giving Dathorn’s current clients a discount on its services?

Comment

Working...