Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jonathan
    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by AndrewT
    Fran, many FTP clients and other file viewers, by default, will hide filenames that begin with a period as they are generally system related files that shouldn't be modified (.bash_history, .lastlogin, etc.).

An tip (Oz may want to add this to the FAQ...) ~~

An FTP Client called 'Core FTP Lite' I believe it is called, shows .HTACCESS
    files (I do not think it shows any other files starting with a peroid).

Its free for personal & limited business use, works like WS FTP LE
    which has been discontinued, and is very fast IMHO.

http://www.coreftp.com/ <--- site URL
    "How can someone be so distracted yet so focused?"
    - C

Comment

• -Oz-
      • Mar 2004

All ftp clients do, just have to say show hidden files, or add a -a i believe to special commands.
      Dan Blomberg

Comment

• djn
        • Mar 2004

Well, if the stream of suggestions seems to have dried up I'll try some; none of these really indispensable, but might be nice to have:

BZip2
        Exif
        Iconv
        LDAP
        XSLT
        the AdoDB C ext. (http://adodb.sourceforge.net/)
        TurckLoader (http://turck-mmcache.sourceforge.net/) or the whole MMCache

'cause we aren't allowed to load our own. are we?

mod_header, mod_security, mod_python (a shot in the dark here, couldn't find anywhere in the forum a list of installed modules)

and finally a less obsolete version of OpenSSL?

Sometimes ago there was a post about putting ones customers in a common group and setting group read permission. Would it be possible (for library sharing and faster updating)?

Comment

• AndrewT
          Administrator
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by djn
          Well, if the stream of suggestions seems to have dried up I'll try some; none of these really indispensable, but might be nice to have:

BZip2
          Exif
          Iconv
          LDAP
          XSLT
          the AdoDB C ext. (http://adodb.sourceforge.net/)
          TurckLoader (http://turck-mmcache.sourceforge.net/) or the whole MMCache

'cause we aren't allowed to load our own. are we?

mod_header, mod_security, mod_python (a shot in the dark here, couldn't find anywhere in the forum a list of installed modules)

and finally a less obsolete version of OpenSSL?

Sometimes ago there was a post about putting ones customers in a common group and setting group read permission. Would it be possible (for library sharing and faster updating)?
          Quite a few of those are already available but other than that we do not wish to add any further software that is not necessary.

Comment

• Pedja
            • Mar 2004

I would like to see some better options to handle spam. One needed is to be able to set filtering rules that apply to all accounts within the same WHM account. It is a bit frustrating to have to set all common rules again and again for each new account.

I would like to be able to access any data for any cpanel account under my WHM account with my WHM user/pass.

I would second Jonathan's idea of generating certificates. I am sure it is frequent need for certificate to be used for internal purpose or just to test scripts. You always refer us that we could produce such keys on our own but it is not that simple. First, lots of us do not use Linux at all (yes I know how to use it for some degree but I do not need it), then, creating certificate is not that easy to do when one has no experiene with it. I tried to find someone of Linux power users and still have found noone willing to generate test key for me. I guess it is not that hard to make some script that will automaticaly generate certificate. I would be happy with any limitation (i.e, one certificate per domain, one certificate per account, or similar) just to get certificate that works on Dathorn account to be able to test or protect internal web admin area of a site.

I would like to see something that seems simple: review of DNS zone in plain ASCII form. Zilion of times I wanted to save DNS zone info for backup purposes and found no way to do it. Cpanel simply does not show info as simple text.

Also, tool to show all customized configuration of cpanel accoutn would be extremly helpful. Not once, something messed with cpanel accoutn and I had to set it from scratch. Worse thing was that I could not previously save setting at least asplain text and I have to recall form my memory what was set. Some cpannel account can be guite complex in customisation: starting from DNS, email accounts, forwarders, aliases, maillsits, ftp accounts end everything else. I do not seek for backup tool, but to be able to preview all settings for cpanel account in plain text.

The FAQ section should be maintaned better. It is far behind the needs and should not depend on customers.

Comment

• AndrewT
              Administrator
              • Mar 2004

Pedja, almost everything that you've requested is something that the cPanel developers would need to implement. By creating this thread we were wanting things that we could improve upon, not how cPanel/WHM could be improved as we have no control over what they choose to do.

Regarding the FAQ, what do you suggest be added to it?

Comment

• powvex
                • Mar 2004

I think these are so interested if happen:

1-One thing that all my customers always asked and I know its very good for client side is; Having Virus scanner installed on emails, like Clamav+Mailscanner or many other good Free AV's.

2-The backup plan: When I'd purchased my first and second reseller account about 2 years ago, we had free backup solution in all plans purchased. Suddenlly Andrew decided to have them in other way, and dathorn will charge for backups. From other hand, someone like me that have more than 3 reseller plans, should charge separately for backup of 3 accounts or more, but the fact is; all the space used in them is around 2 GB, but I should pay for 6GB backup space. I suggest having backup on multiple accounts and just for used space, not for plans space.

3-Providing reseller: I suggest having reseller options; I mean if there is anybody who has more than 2 or 3 or ... accounts, you give them more oprions, such as lower monthly prices, have more options, ... as they are potentionaly resellers of dathorn services.

4-More accurate support persons: I have tickets that support has provided wrong answers, and then Andrew has corrected them. I don’t think that I should explain more on this matter.

I only post these suggestions/requests because I believe that our success is dathorn success, and I've reached these things after working with dathorn from begining.

Comment

• AndrewT
                  Administrator
                  • Mar 2004

Originally posted by powvex
                  I think these are so interested if happen:

1-One thing that all my customers always asked and I know its very good for client side is; Having Virus scanner installed on emails, like Clamav+Mailscanner or many other good Free AV's.

2-The backup plan: When I'd purchased my first and second reseller account about 2 years ago, we had free backup solution in all plans purchased. Suddenlly Andrew decided to have them in other way, and dathorn will charge for backups. From other hand, someone like me that have more than 3 reseller plans, should charge separately for backup of 3 accounts or more, but the fact is; all the space used in them is around 2 GB, but I should pay for 6GB backup space. I suggest having backup on multiple accounts and just for used space, not for plans space.

3-Providing reseller: I suggest having reseller options; I mean if there is anybody who has more than 2 or 3 or ... accounts, you give them more oprions, such as lower monthly prices, have more options, ... as they are potentionaly resellers of dathorn services.

4-More accurate support persons: I have tickets that support has provided wrong answers, and then Andrew has corrected them. I don’t think that I should explain more on this matter.

I only post these suggestions/requests because I believe that our success is dathorn success, and I've reached these things after working with dathorn from begining.

1&2. Those just aren't going to happen. Scanning all incomming/outgoing e-mail or even one or the other can place a tremendous load on the server given the quantity of e-mail that each server handles. Backups based on disk used is just not practical.

3. Pricing is not going to change. If you have any other suggestions I'd be happy to hear them.

4. This is something that is continually being worked on. As new techs are added, there is a bit of a learning curve but I try to sort those issues out as I see them.

Comment

• Jonathan
                    • Mar 2004

What about adding RSS feeds to the forum?
                    I mean, for the announcments forum?

It'd be a good alternative to subscribing to the forum...
                    I found a RSS hack over @: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showt...light=rss+feed

(I started looking when I noticed SitePoint's forums have RSS feeds)
                    - C

Comment

• Pedja
                      • Mar 2004

Here is one: when mailbox is full it is common situation that mail sent to that box simply wanishes without notifying anyone. It should at least reject receiving mail with apropriate error message.

Comment

• AndrewT
                        Administrator
                        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Pedja
                        Here is one: when mailbox is full it is common situation that mail sent to that box simply wanishes without notifying anyone. It should at least reject receiving mail with apropriate error message.
                        Exim does send bounce messages when this occurs.

Comment

• AndrewT
                          Administrator
                          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Jonathan
                          What about adding RSS feeds to the forum?
                          I mean, for the announcments forum?

It'd be a good alternative to subscribing to the forum...
                          I found a RSS hack over @: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showt...light=rss+feed

(I started looking when I noticed SitePoint's forums have RSS feeds)
                          Maybe I'm just missing it, but what would be the point of doing this?

Comment

• Jonathan
                            • Mar 2004

Maybe I'm just missing it, but what would be the point of doing this?
                            It would be a good alternative to subscribing to the announcment forums.
                            I know personally sometimes I miss [forum subscription] emails when
                            I accidently forget to clear my mailbox out, I'm sure @least one other
                            person here has done the same.
                            - C

Comment

• AndrewT
                              Administrator
                              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Jonathan
                              It would be a good alternative to subscribing to the announcment forums.
                              I know personally sometimes I miss [forum subscription] emails when
                              I accidently forget to clear my mailbox out, I'm sure @least one other
                              person here has done the same.
                              But if you're going to load up a page to view the RSS feed why not just visit the announcements forum?

Comment

• Jonathan
                                • Mar 2004

But if you're going to load up a page to view the RSS feed why not just visit the announcements forum?
                                There are many (free) RSS readers that will minize to the
                                System Tray and alert the user when there's a new item.

Read Get Off Your RSS! and learn with SitePoint. Our web development and design tutorials, courses, and books will teach you HTML, CSS, JavaScript, PHP, Python, and more.

Also for those who use FireFox, you can use "Live Bookmarks"
                                for RSS/XML feeds, though it doesn't pop up any alerts.

Or, again for FireFox users, use 'SAGE', a light weight RSS/ATOM
                                reader, though IMHO its the same as the Live Bookmarks.

Not sure what Mozilla, Opera, or M$ Internet Explorer has to offer.
                                Also there's one for mobile phones, I think, on the SitePoint article I linked to.
                                - C

Comment

Working...