Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Courtly
    • Sep 2004

Question about setting up SPF and DKIM

Fairly ignorant of email hosting technology, and the last 15 years of failing to keep up with it have done me no favours.

Have an address that I forward from a Dathorn-hosted domain to Gmail. That part's working fine. Let's say it's "myname@mydomain.com"

Currently I have Gmail set to reply using that address (myname@mydomain.com) for any conversation that involved that address, and in that case Gmail is using Dathorn's SMTP. The goal here is to be able to receive and respond to email via Gmail but to have my contacts email me using myname@mydomain.com and have my reply appear to come from myname@mydomain.com as well.

Used to work, but in the last year I've started getting bounces that mention SPF and DKIM. (Pasting a portion of the error below).
    Looking to learn what I need to do to fix this, or if my whole concept is now fundamentally flawed. Anyone able to direct me somewhere I can learn what I need to know quickly? Or even better explain what's happening and how I can address this?

host gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com [142.250.113.27]
    SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:
    550-5.7.26 This mail has been blocked because the sender is unauthenticated.
    550-5.7.26 Gmail requires all senders to authenticate with either SPF or DKIM.
    zz0.fx2pbnhzolczz
    Ok, you guys start coding.
    I'll go find out what the customer wants.
  • Courtly
    • Sep 2004

Found this email thread, and following up to educate myself and fix the issue.

Hi. I'm hosted on cpanel77, I have just enabled SPF, so this record is automatically generated: v=spf1 +a +mx +ip4:216.172.104.4 ~all However I did some testing and this is the email header: Received: from mx1.gzo.com (mx1.gzo.com. [216.172.104.8]) ... Received-SPF: softfail (*******.com: domain of transitioning
    Ok, you guys start coding.
    I'll go find out what the customer wants.

Comment

• AndrewT
      Administrator
      • Mar 2004

You'll want to make sure that you have DKIM and SPF records configured correctly on your domain. We have a recent blog post covering this very issue here:

For more immediate and specific help, please submit a ticket and we'll be happy to do what we can.

Comment

Working...