Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Monolith
    • Aug 2005

Suggestion for future "double bandwidth" offers

So, it seems like the past couple double bandwidth/double diskspace offers were really successful. The prices were great, and in general it made a lot of people happy. I recall Andrew saying that the reason he could do it was that bandwidth prices kept dropping. Recently ive come close to having to upgrade my account, but ive been procrastinating out of the (unrealistic) hope that another one of these promotions might be right around the corner. That said, how about something like this...

Offer the double-bandwidth/one-time-fee promotion all the time, but make that one time fee higher the sooner a person takes advantage of it. Here's a hypothetical example, with all numbers being fictional:

A customer is on the basic plan. He's going to need more space soon. His options...
    • Upgrade to business for an extra $7/month
    • Pay a $30 one-time fee and get double bandwidth/diskspace immediately
    • Wait 4 weeks and pay $25 for the "double" offer
    • Wait 8 weeks and pay $20 for the "double" offer
    • Wait 12 weeks and pay $15 for the "double" offer
    • So on...

I'm not sure if the pricing would have to be different based on the size of the account the person already has. I'd assume it would (doubling a basic account is a lot cheaper for DIS than doubling a pro account), but then again, perhaps there'd be some leeway based on how much the person has already paid for upgrades.

Anyway, i'm thinking this would probably be in the interest of both Dathorn and the community. DIS gets to offer these specials all the time (a tantilizing offer) and the one time fees are an easy way to bump up revenue short term, and really turn into free money long term (as bandwidth prices continue to drop). The customer obviously benefits from the choice of monthly-vs-one-time-fee, which can be a big advantage for resellers trying to squeeze every penny. Not to mention its just a cool choice that not many hosts offer.
  • AndrewT
    Administrator
    • Mar 2004

Without saying too much, a somewhat similar plan will be offered eventually (as in no real ETA), but rest assured that we've thought of offering it all the time.

Comment

• Monolith
      • Aug 2005

Eventually... no ETA...

Comment

• Denver Dave
        • Sep 2004

OK, my 2 cents. I dislike special offers, because someone ends up paying for it in the end. How about charge a little more and offer a little less in the beginning and then upgrade accounts automatically after they have been with dathorn for a while.

With each "lifetime special offer" , I'm reminded of the "Exercise Spas" - when they offer a lifetime membership - it is a good indication they are going out of business. Dathorn has provided good hosting - why not stay with good easy to understand plans and keep everything simple.

Are one-time infusions of cash really that necessary and productive?

Comment

• james
          • Mar 2004

From memory one of Andrew's aims with offering the special was to see how many users monitored the Announcements forum.

Once he realised that there were not many doing this, he sent an email out, reminding people to subscribe to the forum.

It also had the advantage of making customers happier by offering them a bonus.

Comment

Working...